1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"The Essential Jaco Pastorius" album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Papersen, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    For those who like Jaco, or for those who want to discover him, I guess this is one of the best albums.

I mean, I`ve heard to solo album, Weather Report and Word of Mouth stuff, but always wondered about his work with Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell and some others. This record is a great complilation: 2 CD with more than 2.5 hours of Jaco at his best (in studio and live).

2. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Also, the Shadows and Light Video/DVD is pretty awesome, killer bass work especially on Dry Cleaner.

Awesome 16th's at the end, Jaco had major stamina

3. Essential is good but I think that the "Punk Jazz" set is a better overview of Jaco's career especially his music with others.

4. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    The only recording he did with Pat Metheny is "Bright Size Life" (Pats 1st solo record). ...well outside of that obscure record with Bley/Ditmas. Anyway, BSL is outstanding and some of my favorite "jaco" music.

Also check out Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" ...classic.

5. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    +1 Great 2 disc set.

6. i was intending on saying pretty much the exact thing when i opened up this thread.

+1

7. +1