The Essentials

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ares, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ares

Ares Guest

Mar 1, 2005
    Queensland, Australia
    Hello all,

I do believe this is my first post on TB despite having been reading for some time. I'm relatively new to bass (only been playing since December) and this site has been a great learning resource for me.

I have this thing where I like to be exceptionally knowledgable about everything I do, in terms of history and development and those that have come before me. So my quesiton is, who are the essential bassists I should check out, the essential songs/albums, and even a basic run down on the best basses. Basically anything you think I should know about the bass and the great bass players to give me a solid plat form to learn from.

I look forward to spending far too much time on this site. :)
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Welcome to the boards. Keep reading the different forums and threads, there is a ton of info in here. there are also a lot of players here so feel free to ask questions.

if you get really bored, start following every link you come across in the forums here. you'll come across a lot of other great resources.
  3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Welcome to talkbass.

Yes that is your first post. We are keeping track.

You need to rent the DVD "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and get the book/CD set of the same name. You will learn a lot about James Jamerson.

If you are into history, you need to read up on Charles Mingus, James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, Jaco Pastorius, and Stanley Clarke.

Some Albums:

Hitsville USA: The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971 [BOX SET] - Lots of James Jamerson

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius

School Days - Stanley Clarke

A book:

The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    This is basically what we have been doing here for a while now. Over and over and over. Check out the Bassists forum, the Recordings forum, and the Basses forum. Keep written notes as you read, and then search for the stuff you find in other posts. The difficulty you will have is sorting out the times. The same post can discuss different bassists as if they played at the same time when one may be dead and the other new to the scene.