1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The eternal bassist internal struggle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Do any of you have this illness? You have a bass you love love love - your "go to" ole reliable, never dissatisfied with it bass machine. In my case it's my 2008 American Standard P (shown in my avatar above). But you keep buying other basses thinking your gonna get a nice back up that could possibly, maybe take over as your number one. You get that new bass (in my case a second hand 2012 American Standard Jazz in near new condition) and love it, praise it and even post a thread on TB about how great it is. You gig with it, putting your ole reliable on the stand in front of your amp as "backup" and you start thinking, "yeah, this new one is the $h!t." it's the end of the line for number one. Move over favorite bass, there's a new kid in town. Then, say, third set, you decide to pickup your old friend and play it and fall instantly back in love? You still are quite fond of the new one, but suddenly it's become trade bait, you may be able to live without it if the right "next bass" comes along.

Obviously, that's where I am. I discovered the Cult of P-bass when I got my 2008 in 2009. It was the first P-bass I really liked and it soon became my favorite feeling, sounding, looking, etc bass. Before that I only played Jazzes. I've owned 5 Jazzes in my life and always believed I should have one, or that I really liked them. I might not. But I'm not sure if it's that (a) I'm a P-bass guy or (b) I'm MY P-bass guy. I have a Tony Franklin fretless that's gotten some gig love. I've got a Ric 4003 that is awesome - never trade bait, but gets about 1 every 10 gigs. And the new Jazz is amazing. Better in some respects than the Custom Shop Jazz I tired of and sold.

I am now torn: do I sell this Jazz, do something fun with the cash? Do I sell the Jazz and/ or trade for another premium P-bass? Do I keep the Jazz for the semi-annual I need a Jazz Bass fix?

2. It sounds to me like you'd be better off with just your P bass and a fat wad of delicious cash...but then again I'm very much a 'have one bass and love it' kinda guy.

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    The best solution is to sell your favorite bass immediately and fill the void it leaves in your life with as many other basses as possible. When you finally realize that the only thing that'll fix it is getting your favorite bass back, track it down and buy it for more money than it's worth. Now you have your favorite bass and even more basses, and the Mrs. won't leave you because neither of you can afford a good divorce lawyer.

/bestpossibleadviceforthesituation

4. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I had this problem for a while, luckily I got over it. I haven't bought a new bass in about 4 years now.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    My advise would be to sell the newer Precision and look for a slight variant on the theme. Maybe a "'51 style" RI or a P/J would give you a little more variation, or a slightly different flavor but still provide the P-bass vibe you like so much yet wouldn't be in direct "competition" with your number one.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I a much the same way - I just LOVE my 2008 P with flats, but feel that I have to have some variety as well, and keep searching.

The latest is a Fender P Bass Special with the P/J configuration and a J neck. This is doing a pretty good job at providing acceptable diversion.

7. keep all your basses. if youre suffering from gas really bad, use that as motivation to find a way to save up for the next bass without sacrificing any of the herd.

later on, if you feel like you have too many basses, sell what you need to, and pocket the cash.

8. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I could survive with just my '71 P Bass, but I have a '78 Jazz, '11 Lakland 55-02, and a '98 Warwick Thumb to keep me entertained when I feel like temporarily straying.

9. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Gig the Ric more! :smug: I have 6 basses,and i like to vary the ones i use at gigs,but i tend to favor my Rics (i have 3 very different ones) over the 3 non-Ric basses. (which in fairness are decidedly lesser quality instruments)As for your "syndrome",oh yeah i have "suffered" from that for over 35 years....i get 'em,love ,em for while,and then sell or trade for the next one...i have only kept 2 basses for over 10 years,both times it was a Ric,but i have owned about 70-80 basses over the years.

10. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I may be in the minority here but I never buy a new bass to "replace" my favorite...I look at it as acquiring a "different color" to broaden my tonal palette...currently I have a rosewood fretted, a rosewood fretless and my maple should be arriving today...I don't foresee myself wanting another instrument.

Jeez, that sounds corny as hell :)

11. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Sound advice... :bag:

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My problem is, I love all of my basses. I get torn on what I want to gig with sometimes. It also wouldn't be a bad thing if I got rid of a few of them, especially since I really want to get a jazz myself.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I always go back to my 1974 P and have for years.

I have played Sadowskys, Roscoes, MTD, Stingrays, Gibsons, Laklands, etc...... but ALWAYS go back to a P. I find a P is comfortable as do many players.

I am now a Modulus fanboy, but I expect the P will come back out sometime soon!

14. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm still in the process of deciding which of the basses out there is my favorite and which will become my main bass, so I keep buying and selling...one day I HOPE I'll be able to stop

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I always go back to my '87 Jazz Bass Special. best of both worlds. Folks laugh at me because I can't figure whether I like it best or my '01 American Jazz. Back and forth I go.

16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I've had my Alembic Spoiler since 85 and am still in love with it. I enjoy my Michael Kelly acoustic bass for practice at home primarily, have an Ibanez fretless too, but the Spoiler is it.