1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The eternal search goes on...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    So in my long search for the perfect overdrive I've narrowed my options to these three pedals:
    -HomeBrew Hematoma
    -Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
    -Retro-Sonic Overdrive

I've heard nice clips of the Hema and the Sparkle Drive, but the Retro-Sonic really looks nice and I'm wondering how it would work on bass...
    BTW are all of these TS clones? Is there anyway to fatten a bit the sound of the Sparkle Drive with another pedal?

PS: I know I've already written a few threads about this overdrive thing but I've already wasted my money in a couple OD pedals and I don't want that to happen again.

2. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm thinking about adding the EHX English Muff'n or the Hot Tubes to the list...in case I get any of those how often would I have to change the tubes and how much would it cost? I suppose I would use them for about 2 hours each day

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    vote here for the Sparkledrive...it stopped my search

i run mine like this Wah - Sparkle Drive - Boomstick Bottom Feeder - EH BBM - Sansamp RPM

Now if your looking for a way over the top OD the Sparkle Drive isn't it. But what it does do it does very well....It is indeed based on the TS808 has the same op amp but it has much more note definition than the original and is much more crsip in sound.

4. First of all, yes those 3 in the OP are all tubescreamer clones. The Retro-Sonic looks like a pretty faithful reproduction (and thus should sound just like an old school TS), while the other two have additional features.

The Hematoma was built specifically as a bass TS, and has a separate boost channel, plus an EQ shift. The consensus opinion around here is that the Hematoma's tone is pretty dark as TS's go, with less high end.

The Sparkle Drive has a clean blend, which many bassists love. It's not built specifically for bass, thus has a little more jangly highs.

As for the Muff'n and Hot Tubes, I have no experience and can't really speak to them. Although I will say that the Muff'n gets a decent amount of love around here. The Hot Tubes is a little more rare; only seen a couple of them around.

5. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks for answering. Snakeman that Boomstick Bottom Feeder is a bass boost pedal? Would it help to increase the lows if I place it after the Sparkle Drive? If not I think I'll get a Hema, as I like darker bass sounds.

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I really like the English Muffn. Sounds great from no gain with clean tones, to high gain fuzzy overdriven amp sounds. I bought the pedal used about 6 months ago and have used it every day since, and I had the first tube burn out on me last week. Im not sure how much replacements are as I haven't ordered any yet (need to get on that tonight), but I don't think you would spend more than $20 maintaining the pedal in a years time.

The Bottom Feeder is an envelope filter.

7. capnhank

capnhank

Mar 5, 2007
    Campbell, CA
    I've been running an English Muff'n for some time now. Great pedal! I've used it with my SVT, my Ashdown and my Carvin and I'm pretty much strung out on it. Whether I'm just using it for a little tube warmth on top of an SS head or to fuzz the hell out of my tone, it does the trick.

BTW, I got it used and have never had any tube problems. Knock wood.

8. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I'm pretty much sold on the EBS Valvedrive for a bass OD.

9. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Too expensive :meh: but thanks anyway