Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The EUB is Finished!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by paintandsk8, Feb 12, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I finally got this EUB done today. Some of yo will remember that I originally made a rosewood bridge for this. Well that design sucked so i made a new maple one. Other than that things went pretty well as planned. The thinned tru-oil worked out great (thanks Hambone). And I was pleasantly suprised when some flame showed up during sanding.

It sounds much better than my last one. It's tone is very dark. I may try to get some sound clips next week.

Attached Files:

2. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    some more

Attached Files:

4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    just enjoying my increased attachment quota...

Attached Files:

• back.jpg
      back.jpg
      File size:
      10.4 KB
      Views:
  5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I hope mine looks as nice when I finish it! Excellent job...

-robert

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Very hot.

I really like the headstock.

How long did it take you?

7. Better than good, really- well done! I dig the string anchor-deal. You probably mentioned this before, but what's the scale?

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    that is absolutely beautiful, man!
    Be proud of yourself

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    thanks guys, So can I call my self a luthier now? :hyper:

It's a 41.5" scale.

And it took 50 days, and somewhere around 70 hours.

10. Glad I could help - now come on over to the shop and build me one! :D

Very nice.

11. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Sure, as long as you build me somethin back. ;)

12. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Very nice! I really like the unique head. And it looks like you have enough curve to play arco?

13. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yep, I never play arco, but I thought i would design for that if ever learned. The cutouts in the side also serve that purpose.

14. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Very nice! I like it!

The bottom shot of the bridge is a little unsettling though - what are the chances of the end strings breaking through the little hangover bit of the bridge?

15. Beautiful piece of work.:cool:
    What is the attachment on the back? monopod? cymbal stand a' la Ergo?

16. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    about the bridge: I'm not very concerned, the grain is very tight and runs laterally. And it's hard to tell from the pics, but it widens out to a little over 3/4" very quickly. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think it's going to be fine. The reason I did that is because I had trouble getting a good balance on the strings with the feet of the bridge right under the G and E strings, especially with the piezo's. So far this design seems to be working out better.

about the stand: It attaches to the cymbal stand. It doesn't move with you when you play, but for someone like me who is switching back and forth between BG and EUB between nearly every song, it's nice to be able to just leave it standing there and being able to walk up and play it.

17. On the stand- do the tripod 'feet' ever get in the way of your feet? I mean, is it pretty easy to get comfortably close to the bass the way you have it mounted?

18. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I haven't had any trouble with it. I keep one leg of the tripod facing the same direction as the bass, and then i just straddle the one that points towards me, and even with the feet all the way extended, they don't stick out much past where the body of a 3/4 acoustic would be.

19. ..what kind of pickup/electronics have you got in it? I'd like to hear it!

20. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    It's got K&K big twin under the bridge. Those then run into a fishman powerjack. The fishman powerjack is a super small active buffer/pre. So I don't have to worry about impedance matching, or carrying around a second external pre. I really like the powerjack, it's only 45 bucks and it's super easy to wire/install. Here is a pic of it.

I'm going to try to get a recording of it, It may be the weekend though before i get to it.

Attached Files: