1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The ever present "starting a band" thread, but better

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mattsk42, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Didn't notice it

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. I read through all the posts I could find on starting a band, some very good info. Here's our info:

Singer/piano - at the same time all the time, can technically play about anything.
    Guitarist - can sing without guitar or on very minimal guitar, can learn just about any non-solo stuff, or some solos.
    Drummer - No singing, but can play anything and can FEEL it like you're supposed to.
    Me - most amazing bass player ever ;) No singing while playing.

We all have very good education in music theory, rhythm, etc. and I'm the only one who won't be graduated yet. (non-music degrees, but gives an idea of maturity)

We would like to do anything at all, and eventually play at parties, bars, small-time stuff. No financial gain or loss is remotely at stake, and we're in a small town that literally has at most 5 bands that have ever played in public more than once or twice.

What songs would you all suggest? And how to go about learning them? We tried setting up a computer/speakers and playing along, but it ended up just messing around and only doing a couple songs we knew well. What's a better approach? Anything helps. Thanks!

2. Originals, man!

3. Originals and what? How to go about learning any existing songs? Start with helping out each other in a practice, learn it all on your own then put it together, just start playing, what?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you're going to do parties and bars, forget originals. Nobody wants to hear that unfamiliar, self-indulgent crap. Play danceable covers. Have a band meeting, discuss what kind of stuff you want to do, and pick 10 songs. Burn CDs of the songs for everyone, and learn them at home. Bring them to rehearsal ready to polish. Then play a few free gigs for friends, and tell everyone who wants to hire you for their party it's 500 bucks. Then work your way up to what the traffic will bear.

I'm in this process right now with my new band. We have met only one time with all members present, and we have 10 performable songs, 10 that are one rehearsal away, with a list of 60 to learn.

5. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    What kind of music do you wanna play?

+1 with munji. Learn some dance floor killers that everyone can get into. Then when people begin to know your group you can sneak in a few originals.

Then. Ozzfest.

6. It depends what type of band you want it to be.

If you intend to be a band that plays specifically for parties and bars/clubs, and to earn money doing so, then covers will be great.

But if you wish to explore your creativty as a band and musicians, then covers, not much so.

Also it depends on what venues you have around you. Some venues have policies when booking bands. Some book only cover bands, some prefer not to.

7. So, doesn't matter what songs/styles. Type of band doesn't matter either, just want to do it for fun.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Covers man, throw in a few originals that people will learn to love, but covers will get you the gigs up front.

I learned Summer of 69 and Breaking the Law by Judas Priest in about 20 minutes flat. If we would've gotten together instead of breaking up before the first practice, I'm sure it woulda sounded just fine and passerbys would give us a listen.

9. Haha so would that be "breaking up" or never forming? :) That's somewhat what we did originally. Never got organized enough. Still aren't really.

10. snow_storm

snow_storm

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas
    Metallica-people like Metallica...or "Roxanne"

11. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    where's the carrot-related option?

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Munji said. Only go originals if you want to play to crowds of 5 people (3 of whom are band girlfriends), for no money, or in a "pay to play" format, while sharing the bill with 4 other bands.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Fun covers that you can kind of jam and make sound your own that people groove too: (okay totally subjective but I'm putting my d@#k in the mashed-potatoes and going for it).

5446 (Toots and the Maytals, Sublime covered it too)
    Gin and Juice (Snoop Dog - Great crowd pleaser and it's funny as hell when white boys play it bluegrass style (ala The Gourds)
    Where Is My Mind (Pixies)
    Cabbage Alley (The Meters)
    Hey Pocky Away (The Meters)
    Fire On The Bayou (The Meters)
    Concrete Jungle (Bob Marley)
    Jamming (Bob Marley)
    40 Oz. To Freedom (Sublime)
    Badfish (Sublime)
    Pigs (Pink Floyd) - this one depends where everyone's head is at. Great closer though.
    Stir It Up (Bob Marley)
    This Ain't Livin' (G-Love)
    Burn One Down (Ben Harper)
    Train In Vain (The Clash)
    London Calling (The Clash)
    Night Nurse (Gregory Isaacs)
    Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)
    Cissy Strut (The Meters - This might be really good for your format)
    Monkey Man (Toots)
    Sex Machine (James Brown)
    Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
    Poor Heart (Phish)
    Bouncing Around The Room (Phish)
    Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder)
    When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin)

There you go a bunch of covers. As you will soon see opinions will vary. Oh yeah, and anything by The Meters. (LOL) There you go. Let the battle of opinions begin. Enjoy.

14. wow thanks for the list. I'll see if we can do any of those. It's always hard to find one that the piano has something to do with. I'll get to work later this week! :hyper:

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Read what Munji wrote, & then go back & re-read it.

As for what covers, that's something you need to work out w/ your band members... play what you like AND what fits your bands members, or you'll end up hating it.

16. If you want people to enjoy your show make sure you play the kind of songs that make the pretty girls wanna 'shake they bootays!'

I was going to post this insanely long list of great RnB/Funk/Rock tunes that a local band has been using here in St. Louis with a great deal of success for the last 10+ years - but suffice it to say the list consists heavily of songs that are funky, sexy, provacative, sensual, groovy... Prince, Chic, Morris Day and the Time, James Brown, Rick James, Aerosmith, Van Halen, David Bowie, and on and on...

And they have had packed shows consistently for the last 10 years. Must be doing something right.