1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The ever-spending story.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Apr 3, 2009.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    So, I already have a small arsenal of passive basses (Iv'e always preferred 'em) (Ibanez Gsr200, Steinberger XT-2, Steinberger XL2, Geddy Jbass)

However, the other day I was at GC and began to jam on an Ibanez Sr500. I absolutely loved the small size of the body and the super-thin (geddy-approved) neck. I began to paly around with the onboard Eq and found myself considering pulling the trigger on this. I have the money and would not mind using it for this bass. I must say though, the one factor that would settle my mind on this bass is this...

Do active basses provide a more desireable instrument in the studio? I mean, passives are great for just about everything, but say I want to get a bit more funky or contour my sound mid-song, would an active bass like the Sr500 help me there? IF it were only for the simple convienience of not needing to change the eq set-up on my amp or the board and just being able to do it onboard my bass, I would buy this thing in a snap.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, not necessarily. An active bass is great for tone shaping in general, but in a studio, chances are you'll go direct and the engineer will do all the eqing. No reason not to buy it, though.

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Jon Stuart used that one the other night on the Daily Show.