Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The everlasting Search for a new DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Peter Ferretti, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Heu Guys, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to give up my Kolstein Fendt for reasons that I don't really wont to get into. The most relevant one, however, is that I want an older bass. I enjoy the older English style of making, like Fendt, and it is also prevelant in the Hawkes basses. The problem is, I am at Eastern Music Festival until July 31st, then I am going to Switzerland in mid-august. I really dont want to take the bass to switzerland, I would like to purchase something before then. Kolstien may be an option, but I believe he overprices his stuff. If Arnold or Nick or any of you other guys have any basses in your shop let me know, and if any of you TB people have a bass near me, give me a shout.
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I believe Geoff Morrow at the Bass Garden has a reasonably priced Hawkes. www.bassgarden.net I also have some nice basses but I try not to use this forum for self-promotion.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    so why are you unhappy with the fendt? i have a fendt and so far am happy with it, but there are some things i'm not so crazy about too. if you dont want to post it publicly please contact me directly..

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Before I list my complaints, I want it understood that I think Barrie did a wonderful job in the construction of my bass, and in no way should my complaints reflect him negatively. There were some errors in the construction of the bass, the extention was poorley made, the endpin wasn't installed delicatly, and above all, I don't think that the bass and I are a fit, per se. Basses are so personal, you just have to be able to really connect with your bass, and I don't with the Fendt. It is, however, and awesome bass.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, fair enough... i like almost every thing about my bass, except the fact that i cant get a good amplified tone from it. it's so resonant, that the top actually vibrates at a pitch and causes feedback.... that's a great thing for acoustic playing and recording, but not so much if you have a pickup on. i guess i could try to dampen it for live performances. to hear the awesome tone of that bass listen to my recent submission to the talkbass sample page. the sample is listed under my name here: shwashwa

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You have a PM...

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

I bought the panormo he had for sale a few years ago, if thats the bass you are talking about.

Just thought i'd throw that out there before you made the trek to yonkers

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Nope. Different bass, just restored by my former assistant, Zac Martin.

9. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Last time I was in Kansas City(Merriam KS), KC Strings had a nice 100 year old Hawkes Panormo. The price was a lot less than New York prices. It's in great shape with a new neck graft.