Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Evil Empire (Discuss?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by westland, Sep 11, 2005.

1. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    From a recent news posting

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer vowed to "kill" Google in an expletitive-laced, chair-throwing tirade when a senior engineer told him he was leaving the company to go work for Google, the engineer claimed in court documents made public on Friday.

In a sworn statement made public Friday, Mark Lucovsky, another Microsoft senior engineer who left for Google in November 2004, recounted Ballmer's angry reaction when Lucovsky told Ballmer he was going to work for the search engine company.

"At some point in the conversation, Mr. Ballmer said:
    'Just tell me it's not Google,'"Lucovosky said in his statement. Lucovosky replied that he was joining Google.

"At that point, Mr. Ballmer picked up a chair and threw it across the room hitting a table in his office," Lucovosky recounted, adding that Ballmer then launched into a tirade about Google CEO Eric Schmidt. "I'm going to ... bury that guy, I have done it before, and I will do it again.
    I'm going to ... kill Google.
    " Schmidt previously worked for Sun Microsystems and was the CEO of Novell.

2. i think some one needs a hug:)

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Picture a scenario of Google joining with Linux to produce the OS of the future... Microsoft may have cause for concern.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    You just made my day wonderful, thank you. :)

5. I agree the yankees do suck.
    -eric

6. Google starts to have more and more power!!
    Microsoft is gonna becoming crazy!
    that's good to hear...

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While I can see a future evil empire in Google, I like it.

MS can bite me.

I'm tired of the arrogance, greed, and the venom.

8. Haha, I saw this a few days ago, and it's wonderful! Google managed to become a huge computer/internet superpower while maintaining a steller reputation, with me at least. As Imoh said, Google has been very friendly to Linux and the open-source movement in general. From what I understand, most of their servers and development computers run on Linux.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Isn't there a disclosure/confidentiality agreement that prevents senior execs from discussing what they know about the last company they worked for?

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    When Talkbass becomes the soul owner of the world. I can totally see a huge movie about the internet/technology battles:D

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...dude must be dealing with some serious stress.

brad cook

12. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Has Zach de la Rocha actually done anything recently?

I find myself wanting Google to do more, and be more successful, whereas I dislike it when you get all these MSN popups and plugging MS software. I don't personally dislike MS for it, since it's just business and advertising, but Google seem to have really caught on to the viral marketing approach, and aiming their products at tech savvy users.

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    And the best part..
    Most of its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think, that one of the most amazing things about google is that... everyone feels inclusive with them. Difficult to describe, but like. Ask anyone "when'd you start using google and why?" So many people will say "oh, before anyone(lie) and because I just trusted their search engine"

it's a little like being a fan of radiohead. People like to claim they are alternative or not mainstream, when they are one of the biggest bands in the world. But that fan mentality, helps to keep them successful and stuff.

15. I guess the Radiohead thing is true. But for a while, and still now I don't feel that they are huge as they really are sometimes. But whats really important, is that Radiohead is really really good.

16. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Radiohead isn't as huge, or Google? I agree on Radiohead. I bet they lost a lot of fans with Kid A. I only started listening last year, so I kind of worked my way backwards though them. The Bends sounds rather drab and by the book to me now. I don't even want to get Pablo Honey.

Anyway, yeah, Google. Good stuff, huh? Look at Google Labs, they have so much stuff going on, and features built into the search function that you wouldn't even notice.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    See? you don't feel as though they are as big as they really are sometimes. That's the effect they have on their fans. Tool is also like this in many ways.

I personally can't stand radiohead. I used to be a fan(have all their albums, seen them live), but these days their music just bugs me.

18. Laugh now, you're going to miss that pretty blue screen when the computer locks up...

Randy