The Evolution of a Fodera...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joelc73, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    We just took delivery of a custom Fodera order that we placed a few months ago for one of our customers. The piece was very complex and involved but it came out astonishingly good. It is unlike anything Fodera has ever done.

We documented a good deal of the process and I thought that some folks here might be interested in taking a look. It's pretty interesting stuff!

The finished bass can be seen here:

We're really proud of this piece. By the way, it's already sold - so please don't think of this as veiled spam! Thanks - and enjoy!
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That is a truely awesome idea for a top...I think that is up there with some of the best ideas for putting a top together I have seen. Spectacular. !
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ouch joel!

That's definitely a one-of-a-kind Fodera!

4. Wow! That is just an amazing bass. Sheesh.....
  5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    That looks great and very hard to do. Joel, keep those shop pics coming. I can't get enough.
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Ok, how much? I need to start saving now.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Fabulous instrument!!!
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    That is definatly the Bentley of basses... it is so beautifully elegant.
  9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Beautiful! Reminds me of a Leduc U-bass, but different.
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's funny, I took a bass like that to show Fodera years ago. I think that Dave actually had seen it. It was the first bass that Chris Stambaugh had made me. He got the inspiration from a bass that Mike Gordon was playing at the time that his bass tech made him that had an inlayed top. I'll try to get a picture of my old bass to show. It was a 36" scale six string with a Thuya burl top inlayed into maple and than a wenge body. Very cool bass, but heavy.
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    ACtually I was referring to inlaying a smaller piece of figured wood into a larger one. I guess its the natural evolution of the Conklin "melt" and the wooden pickguards on the Machelewski's and Foderas etc. I think you could get really nice results with Redwood - Maple - Ebony combination.

I'm not generally a fan of birdseye...looks okay on pickup covers / necks, but large pieces arn't really my thang! :)
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
  13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I like it...interesting. I'm curious how much that adds to the cost of a bass. ;)
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Knowing Fodera, i'm sure its a no-cost option ;)
  15. So pretty I'd be almost afraid to play it!!

Great documentation guys :) Ever think of doing a show for Discovery channel..............American Luthier

" guys clean up the shop..........I'm sick of it lookin like a pig sty" "Thats not how to use a router , in my day we held like this"...........................

You get the Idea :D
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Damn! I admire guys that can build good basses, but to build a piece like that is sick! :bassist:
  17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The body is made of a single piece of Walnut.

The owner of this bass received it yesterday and was very pleased. The great thing about this bass is that regardless of how stunning it looks, it sounds even better. It ended up sounding exactly how the customer had hoped it would. A happy ending for all!
  18. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Beautiful bass... and the pics are really nice!