1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The evolution of pedal tuners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gremson, May 22, 2018.

1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I've been without a pedal tuner for about a year now, and I'm shopping for an inexpensive option.
    There seems to be a plethora of cheap Chinese pedals now, along with the standard Korg, TC, Peterson, and the like.
    I see used Korg DT-10's going for around $30, and remember about ten years ago them being the bees knees for pedal tuning.
    Anybody know how an older Korg pedal tuner would compare to a brand new Joyo, Donnner, or similar cheapo pedal as far as accuracy and bypass? Have pedal tuners gotten better, or are they just cheaper to make?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I bought 3-4 of those El Cheapo's, each which broke after a few shows. Nothing better than having an intermittent signal thanks to a $20 tuner pedal with a malfunctioning mute switch.

Anyway, I finally realized its just cheaper and better in the long run to get a good tuner pedal. Switch to TC Polytune and never looked back, and never had an issue.

crguti likes this.
  3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Sounds like if I wanted to save a few bucks I’d be better off getting an older name brand than a new knockoff. Thanks.

4. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    One word, YES :)