1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The exceptional tone thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaHei, Apr 18, 2005.

1. For those who have tried them all and own many.

Regardless of price, looks, construction etc., post the bass that stands out because of its tone.

I currently own two Zons and two Smiths. Tonewise the fretless Zon Sonus Special takes the cake. It is by far the most responsive of the basses I have played. It barks when I punch it, it purrs when I stroke it.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Spector, Fenders, G&Ls come to mind.

Ray

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Dingwall, Roscoe and Skjold are 3 that come to mind in the amazing tone categories.

4. OK, but I want to know which is THE ONE for you :D

Completely subjective, I know.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Rather heard than owned, but I gotta say:
    Thumb! :hyper:
    Alembic and
    Foderas have a distinct tone, also

And the traditionals:
    P
    J
    MM
    G&L

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, you did say bassES in your original post, but if I had to choose one, I think it's pretty obvious ;).

Ray

7. You are right, edited.

8. Modulus Q5. Now that being said, I have only owned two entry level basses (peavey and ibanez). I borrowed this one from a friend for a while. I have a stambaugh coming and hope this will take the cake so far. Other than a warwick and a ray, I have not played any of the other high end instruments.....yet. ;)

9. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Reverend Rumblefish

10. Eshenbaugh all the way!

(I just got one Friday, pics coming soon.)

11. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    My favorite basses for tone and playing are;
    1. Status Stealth
    2. Mouradian CS-74
    3. Alembic Mark King
    in that order

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    F Bass BN5 - Ash/Maple. End of story. Game, Set and Match!

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey, how's that cocobolo Smith 6 holding up? (assuming that one of the two is the one that used to be mine) :)

I'd have to say "that bass" is my Hanewinckel fretless. I have high hopes for the new fretted that's on the way though. . .

14. A Fender Jazz bass with a slight amount of overdrive and slightly over the top compression!! What a dirty sound!! love it!!

un effected bass id say my Spector, it has that growl when you really dig in, cant beat it!! well apart from the above

15. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sound? Stingray. It seems about half the time I hear a sound that really floors me, it's Stingray through an Ampeg stack, and the other half is a tossup with all the other basses out there.

Also, not much matches a Warwick Thumb, or a Spector.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Roscoe

17. You've got a fretted Hanewinckel on the way? Me too :D Should be here in a month or so. The cocobolo Smith is doing very well, was a close pick between the Smith and the Zon. The fretless is just a tad more expressive. Comparing the Smith and the new Hanewinckel will be quite interesting. This is going to be a great summer :hyper:

18. Way too good for me, but I'm not giving it back!

19. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    My beautiful Status Electro works for me like no other.
    Tones from across the spectrum and beyond.
    Playability like nothing else I have tried.
    I'm lucky...

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm too fickle to pick one. I enjoy all the basses I currently own, and enjoyed most of the basses I no longer own. And it's been a pretty varied collection, too: ranging from traditional passive Fenders to hi-tech active/graphite Moduli.

But OK: if in doubt, I go for a Fender style sound. My Sadowsky P5 can sound modern and traditional, so I'll call that my go-to bass for tone.