Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The excessive dream bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Jan 7, 2005.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If you could have a bass built to any dream specs, what would it be? Never mind how many strings (although we'll assume something reasonable like a 6 ;) ) or the double necks, or how it might sound with your crazy wood choices. What would you love to see hanging in the gallery? I butchers block bass like Les's Rainbow bass? Some sick scroll work? Just a fancy top and back? Melt top?

I do remember seeing a Roscoe with a freakin Humidor inside of it, wow a crazy idea?!?! Anyways, I thought I'd ask. Sometimes, you gotta pretend.....

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    it would be a musicman that dispenses $100 bills so that I could buy more stuff.

3. ..inflatable (lightweight), enormous(to intimidate my enemies), & filled with nerve gas(for hecklers).

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Yeah, who cares how many strings??

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A 6 string Ritter.

That's all.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Previously, it was the Fodera Yin/Yang Monarch. Now that I have realized that particular dream, I am free to dream again... and my two customs coming this year will fit that bill nicely.

One is a 6-string Benavente SCB fretless.

The other is still a secret, I swore to myself not to tell until the first progress photo - basically because I don't want to hear a lot of "you're an idiot" before it gets underway, to shake my confidence =0).

It's coming from Spector though, so it'll definitely sound and feel awesome. ;)

7. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    allright get this...

Swamp Ash Body
    Ebony Fretboard
    Cherrywood neck

7 strings

2 jazz Bartolini pickups
    1 precisio Bartolini pup for the middle

Active/Passive
    ....what else
    o yea
    Fretted

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I already have.. twice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come..

;)

9. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    wooooooooooooooohooooo a CONKLIN brother...NICE....very awesome

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It would be one of two:
    A dual MM pickup Modulus Flea bass (i.e. Flea meets Bongo), or a Wal Mach I, similar to the one posted on the Wal main page right now (red, with black pickguard), but (somehow) with a Modulus carbon fiber neck.... yummmm.....

11. My (current) dream bass, which isn't too crazy (actually it would probably look pretty normal) but somewhat unusual nonetheless:

36" scale 6-String, with string spacing similar to warwick 5-string (fairly narrow) with a neck profile slightly larger than a p-bass
    Black Alder P-Style Body (with slightly elongated upper horn to compensate for the longer and heavier neck)
    Maple/Maple bolt-on (6 or more screws with threaded inserts) neck with stainless steel frets, zero fret and abalone dots
    5° tilt-back back p-style headstock with 4+2 tuner alignment (only a bit wider than the standard p-headstock)
    Black pearl pickguard
    MM pickup (probably Custom wound Seymour Duncan), at the standard MM postion relative to string length
    Chrome Hardware
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    ABM bridge with piezos (or Hipshot A-Style with piezos if that exists)
    Schaller straplocks
    Custom 4-control (volume, balance, tone, tone) electronics with buffer preamps for both pickups (to improve blending) and tone implemented as two State Variable Filters (lowpass type, tone knob controls frequency), battery/ies in a separate compartment of course and threaded inserts for the electronics cover plate, everything well shielded [obviously] (...maybe this could be done with a bartolini dual magnetic/piezo buffer and two bartolini ezqs...)
    Inset side output jack (like my Yamaha has)

A true custom bass... I wonder who would build something like that for me... for a (very) finite amount of money :meh:

(Wow, that was long)

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

You've thought this out a bit, haven't you?? :)

13. Yeah, for a moment or two :p

Actually that's basically a collection of my favorite features of a number of basses i tried, so i would expect it to be very nice. (which of course isn't guaranteed)

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    something like this one would do (or any classic, roya, or okon with 6 strings)

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Interesting timing on this thread. I just ordered today an instrument that has been invading my dreams. I was going to put a different neck pup in the Cherryburst 55-01 from Eggman, but ended up commissioning Mike Kinal to build a (reverse) P/MM: 34.5 " five string MK21, Tobacco burst on quilt maple over alder body, rosewood board, side-dots only, bone nut, gloss coated natural quilt maple on headstock face, Bart 58CBP at neck, Bart MM at bridge, Hipshot B bridge, U-Retro preamp, and black hardware. Now to be patient for a couple of months :rolleyes: (me having nice dreams...)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    5 string
    Downsized P style body
    19mm string spacing
    2" nut
    Chunky neck profile (Spector, et. al)
    P style pickup
    Passive- On/Off switch only
    Brass quick load bridge (Hipshot A, ABM, etc)
    Gloss black finish
    Matching black gloss neck and headstock.
    Black pickgaurd (Either Tele P or Standard P style, not sure)
    Black hardware, possibly chrome.

I'd let the luthier do what he wanted with the woods, prefferably all domestic woods from a sustained yeild source.

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    so your dream bass has balls????? (well that model has balls on the tip of the lower cutaway horn :D )

18. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    A Wal "Justin Chancelor" model, 4 string, trans-blue finish, with green leds.......

19. it would be a well built but back to basics bass:

a mike lull p4 or devon bass with an alder body, tort pickguard, sunburst paint, ebony board, and passive.... cause all this boutique stuff is driving me insane :smug:

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm thinking about this:

• SC6
    • Fanned Frets
    • 19mm spacing at the bridge
    • Nordstrand pickups
    • Piezo Pickups w/variable gain per string.
    • Aguilar OBP-3 with sweepable mids
    • Top Wood - Walnut, Quilted or Burled Redwood, or Camphor Burl
    • 5-piece maple/wenge neck w/Birdseye maple board
    • Pearl block inlays the exact color of the fingerboard.
    • Pickup covers matching the top
    • Slap-ramp matching the top
    • Built-in Tuner on the side of the neck at the pocket
    • Built-in headphone amp w/Aux-in and metronome
    • Built-in stand
    • Folds into a little box that I can fit in my pocket

Maybe this shape:

[​IMG]