The F Bass 2008 honey run has started

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choad42, Dec 31, 2007.

1. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    $135 for fretboard dots. Whew, that cures F Bass GAS for me.

2. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    Right, so just because someone makes a bass you don't like, their better basses are suddenly not worth it anymore?

Besides, if you've been a loyal F-bass user for over 15 years, that would also mean the basses that you shun right now are way better than you describe them. George makes great basses, and just because it looks like he's taking a step back doesn't mean he doesn't deserve any respect.

And a lot of you should realize how much a lot of well-made instruments cost. What we get out of an electric bass is like what a classical musician gets out of his classical instrument. What we would consider really good classical instruments often cost upwards of $30,000.

3. I never said anything about my current F-Bass. That seventeen-year-old five-piece maple/wenge neck-through fretless comes from (IMO) the company's tonal and aesthetic peak. The newer bolt-on BNFs are great in their own way, but I've yet to play one that can compete with George's earlier work for my tastes.

Apparently, I'm alone in the feeling that when you purchase a bass from an individual luthier as opposed to a faceless corporation, you're choosing to endorse that person's artistic philosophy. I consider a fine handmade instrument to be as much a statement art object as it is a musical tool, so it stands to reason that I'd pass on future purchases if I'm disillusioned with what I feel is a fairly serious compromise to that philosophy.

4. Pretty sure they're Gotoh tuners, and a Hipshot bridge.

5. Wow, you're dumb. You do realise your Stingray probably costs 1/4 (or less) of what you paid to mass-produce?

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Some great looking basses.
    Looks like NAMM is going to be a good one.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I generally think that's a pretty ugly collection. That said some of the ceruse and enhanced grain ash models I've seen in the past have been absolutely beautiful, some of my all time fave (aesthetically) basses. The one shown isn't the best I've seen.

8. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, George should have just ordered some parts from Warmouth or Allparts for his new model, and saved himself a bunch of criticisizm.

9. Thanks Cliff for getting back to my point. I actually just posted this thread as a heads-up of what George and co. have slated to show at NAMM this year. I didn't want to set the stage for a flame ware against F Bass. I was really starting to regret ever mentioning anything at all, however I posted it for people who dig F basses and also for people who are not up to speed on how wonderful these instruments are. Politics aside, these really are some of the finest, handcrafted instruments around with a distinctive vibe all their own and the new Vintage F5s carry on that tradition wonderfully IMO.:bassist:

TBers are obviously entitled to their own opinions, but man I don't see what all the negative comments raised here do except illuminate the fact that Fs are not for everyone and their going to be damn clear about that everytime out of the gate. That's cool though, more Fs for me!:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=234528

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If he's not up for his product to be criticised, perhaps he shouldn't be taking them to NAMM.

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1. Expensive or not, George builds some wonderful, beautiful Basses.

12. TheRam

TheRam I spend more time on TB than I do practicing ...

Feb 14, 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

+1

13. +1,000,000:D You really do get what you pay for with these basses. Hold out for a pre-owned one like I did if you find them too steep. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one though as I would have saved a lot of money going from bass to bass over the last 10 years had I took the plunge sooner.

At any rate, I wish George and co. nothing but success at NAMM this year. Mitch, please tell me more about the Cocobolo BN5. Does it really sound and play as good as it looks?

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=234528

14. +1 Not my thing at all there.

The BN5's with the fancy tops are beautiful though, although you could get a top of the line Fodera for less:eek:

15. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems

Paul,

The cocobolo BN5 is a beautiful instrument all around IMO. He married a medium weight ash body with the very hard cocobolo top which kept it open and responsive...there is a high end nuance going on there that is subtle but really nice..cant quite find the right word. Good fundamental and a solid playing neck from what I remember. We handpicked this top almost a year ago for NAMM 08 (it was possibly going to be for me but there is no way I can take it right now- and I already have BN5).

Anyways, the cocobolos are my fav looking FBass tops right now- they look exquisite in person ( even much better than the pics IMO).

16. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Nothing against F Bass, but I don't really get the whole vintage-jazz bass trend thing. I mean, I understand why some want a vintage tone (I do) but I feel like buying an F Bass kind of defeats the purpose of this. It seems like overkill. The new model does look cool, but if I had one it probably wouldn't be the bass I used for getting a vintage tone and look.

F Basses are very Fender-esque but still more modern, which I think is cool cool. I own and love a BN5 for that reason but if I want the vintage thing, I use a regular old jazz bass (or a fairly basic jazz copy) because, well that's the sound/design the vintage thing is trying to get at. Simple is better. Besides, even though bass players can tell the difference in sound (?), having a traditional looking bass is often more important for getting/keeping a gig. IMO

17. No worries Ken, they're not for everyone - but what bass is right?:) Besides, you have that killer Celinder and boy do those things get it done. I've heard Mitch's Celinders a few times and they smoked! I mean those things just nailed the 70s j-bass, Marcus tone perfectly! They may be the finest j-basses that I have ever heard.

On the other hand, I would take a new Vintage F-5 in a second as the one I played felt very familiar to me. I wouldn't turn my back on a Celinder though - those things impressed the hell out of me.:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=234528&content=songinfo&songID=6067237

18. +1... those BN5's look amazing. I can't quite get the concept of George's new 'Jazz style' basses though. His standard line is quite 'J' sounding to me (in a modern, refined way anyway), and the new line doesn't really cop a J look much more than his BN5 line. Maybe it's a price point thing he's going for.

In my opinion and experience, if you are really looking for a true 'boutique J', you are better off with an instrument by a luthier who is totally invested and 'lives and dies' with the J or P vibe... Celinder, Alleva, Sadowsky, Lull, etc. The Fodera type high end boutique hippy sandwich guys seem to put these 'vintage' designs out as somewhat of an afterthought.

Just IMO there. I would be very happy with one of those fancy topped BN5's!

19. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Inactive Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    I bought that one. :)
    Feel free to make me an offer.

20. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Inactive Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Something else to keep in mind regarding the pricing for the NAMM basses. The price shown on the website was retail. You can figure most stores are going to sell them at 15-25% off of the retail price. That puts them in the same price range as MTD and other small shop luthiers...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021