The F Bass 2008 honey run has started

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choad42, Dec 31, 2007.

1. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems

The VFs feel great to play for my hands....34" is very comfy and familiar coming originally from a 70s Jazz.

Its no secret I love Jazz style basses and what I've come to like is that the few brands that I do own/play have their own flavor and differences based on that style...and for me that has been a good thing. Paul, you're right the Celinder (I'm only really familiar with the Update model) does what it does in its own fine way, but to me the Fs have always had their own fine voice and feel also, and whether the asthetic of the VF is anyone's thing or not ( I do like them, and, in person they may have a more positive impact on some people) these VFs do have the FBass personality IMO even if they are different than a BN5.

Reminds me that a good potential development for some players is that FBass is now making a fretted alder/rosewood model - turned out great and it was nice to hear that flavor married to the FBass formula.

2. Thanks for the details Mitch, the Cocobolo BN5 is a masterpiece! BTW, do you prefer the Cocobolos with black hardware? I know a lot of people think that gold hardware is too "bling", but I am willing to bet that a Cocobolo BN5 with gold hardware would be breathtaking to say the least. Sort of the Ken Smith, Alembic look - a nice, classy studio look 'eh?

That Walnut BN5 going to NAMM is flawless IMO, but the Cocobolo is on another level. I don't know how you function with all those F basses around you so much. Please send a few in my direction if you ever feel overloaded. It's the least I can do for you and George.;)

2167058206_1ee9e85985_o.png 2167058296_1148deb19e_o.png

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=234528

3. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I prefer cocoblo with chrome hardare, but black look nice too.

4. That cocobolo bass is AMAZING looking. You know, the day George offers a poly finish, I will probably jump back into an FBass BN5. They really are nice looking, and they do have a unique 'modern, smooth' J type sound... refined, a little more polite than most of the boutique J's, and I LOVE George's preamp...

I still can't quite get around the checking, chipping and scratching of that particular soft Nitro finish that George uses, but I've seen a few redone in Poly, and they really come alive visually, with no tone change at all from what the owners report.

5. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1. I think black hardware gets lost against that magnificent top. Then again, maybe that was the intention. Gold just does NOT do it for me. At all.

6. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    +1 I need a better paying job! :)

+1 again. I guess that's why, to me, it doesn't seem like George is really 'jumping on the J-bass band wagon'. They look slightly more like a traditional J-bass but they are distinctly different. Just a new model of Fbass IMO.

I won't be trading my BN5 for one soon, but I do like the way they look. I just wish they were half as expensive as they are. :)

Al

:bassist:

7. +1 Chrome all the way for me!

8. +1

not because you don't like it that nobody likes it :hyper:

9. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    As I've posted elsewhere, boutique Jazz basses aren't my thing, but that doesn't mean I don't think it is REALLY COOL that F-Bass has entered this market. It appeals both to the bass player and the marketing major in me.

Of course there are several very credible bass makers currently trying to reach that high end vintage Jazz bass market, including F-bass, Fodera (NYC), Sadowsky, Ken Smith Design, Lakland, Celinder, Mike Lull, and Modulus.

Hopefully the market is big enough for all these guys, because if supply outpaces demand, all these high end Jazz basses may not hold their value.

But if I were going to get a high end vintage Jazz bass, F-Bass would have an edge with me. First, its appearance is subtly modern. Second, F-Basses (and Foderas) have such a great reputation that they hold their resale value very well. Third, I have enough experience with F-Basses to know they will be very smartly built.

10. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Congrats on an unbelievable looking bass. That figuring on the top and through the pickup covers is gorgeous!

I'll trade you all my stuff for her! :)

JK really. Beautiful.

Al

:bassist:

11. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, looking back at the Namm08 basses page, there's like 2 left to be sold! Hard to beat these Basses.

Way to go George.

12. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems

I also agree that its cool to have several luthier's take on a 5 string Jazz...its only good for players as it makes it more likely we can choose something that fits our own specific tastes and not have to be limited to a choice of one or two. Its also at *their* own risk in time and materials and marketing..not ours... I dont see anything so wrong with that.

Per some previous posts,I also dont see well made higher - end Jazz style basses as "trendy" ...unless you think the Jazz Bass has been only a trend in the bass world. IMO these Jazz styled basses sell and are used (mainly but maybe not exclusively)because they have been proven to work across a large spectrum of genres and styles and have been a standard in tone in the studio and live since they were introduced. This formula is a known and revered quantity and there is and has been large demand for them as a result. I think George resisted "jumping on the bandwagon" of a "trend" or else he would have done it what...a decade ago? He's missed literally hundreds of sales. Its that late IMO to accuse FBass of that.
    The VF serves a legitimate market, and if you consider that he has a unique take on it and this has not replaced one model already offered in the FBass line, I have no complaints about where he's taken FBass as a luthier or buisness owner.

BTW I think we'd also have to include Carey Nordstrand to the luthier list above.

13. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    haha...Paul, cocobolo Nirvana is just 30 minutes away from you anytime you want.

Cant decide which hardware I like for that top..I think they all would look good. The black was very sleek and sexy in person on that bass though.

14. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Inactive Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Yeah, I just about drooled all over my keyboard when I got the email from George with that bass. I was going to purchase several of those basses, but each time I emailed George, they were gone! I was lucky to get the one that I got!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, like I needed something more to be hyped about regarding NAMM!!! :p

I thought that blue BN5 might be mine, at first, but mine will have a burst finish, black hardware, and crazy BEM board. :cool:

Tom.

16. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    You've been waiting for quite a while for that blue burst bass haven't you? Is George aging the wood for you?

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just heard back, and the target date is the first part of February. :)

And for the record, I told George that my order was a 'no rush' item, as I have one or two other instruments to play while I wait. :D

Tom.

18. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Ladies and gentlemen, .... The Understatement of 2008!! See below in Bold Red Living color!

19. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I've never played an F so I really have no point of comparison in feel and sound but the basses on the top of the page are approaching Fodera prices and looks-wise I would prefer Fodera's... That's just me.

Eventhough a bass at that price range is nothing but a distant dream for me.

20. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1. He probably means one or two other F Basses! :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021