Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The F***ing Champs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Anybody familiar with these guys? I saw them last night and was once again blown away. They have no bass player. The music is mostly instrumental (vocals on two songs last night) and the lead guitarist plays a 9-string. It has three low strings, and then the three top strings are doubled, like an 8-string bass. The drummer picks up a 9-string for the intro to one tune. The songs are riff city, really complex and super heavy. They have a new album out, titled V (as in the Roman numeral.. their fifth album). Check them out! They have become one of my favorite bands over the past couple of years.
    Also, the band that opened for them.. Drunk Horse.. was incredible! They're worth a listen, too.

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    it's some interesting stuff, to be sure.
    Like to see what they could do w/ a bass player...

3. Yeah. they're great. They're touring with Trans Am (old friends from school) later on this month. Fun band to watch.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Are the F----- Champs the same band that once called themselves C4AM95? If so I have their album "III" and it's pretty darn cool... it could be classified as "heavy metal post rock". :)

I've been a long-time fan of Trans Am... saw them open for Mouse on Mars and they were incredible. I have all their albums... they almost sound like a different band on each one; gotta love that.

5. Fuzzbass,

Yeah - Trans Am are great. I went to school with Nathan Means (bass player/keys/singer) at UNC-Chapel Hill. They''re great guys. Their new record is totally new wavy but they pull it off really well live. Touring with the F****** Champs right now.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm going to have to catch that show... hope I didn't miss it!

Yes, the new TA album (called, uhh, TA) is indeed new-wavey but I think they give the genre a nice twist. One very cool thing about Trans Am: they all play bass! Verified at their live show: one (Nathan?) had a Ricky, another had a 70's P-bass thru a V4B, and even their drummer (a kick-butt drummer he was, too) played bass during a song that used electronic percussion. Gotta love that. :)