Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The fam (56k users beware)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Aug 17, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From back to front; Carvin LB70PF, Ibanez RKB900, Carvin BB70P, Fender American Precision Deluxe, Modulus Quantum, Ernieball/Musicman Sterling

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    *adds marcusalan to list of people I hate*

thanks for making that so easy for me!

:p

Nice Family!!

:bassist:

3. ugly sofa, but i really like the Stingray :D

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Sterling :)

I prefer the Sterlings myself. You have a very beautiful family man. I like Carvins.

5. Hey man, just curious, how do you like the J/MM pickup configuration on the Carvin? I'm thinking of doing that on my SX Jazz bass.. Could you describe the sound?? What kind of pickups and preamp are on it?

Thanks..

6. Ladies love clean looking leather, not to mention the tone of a Sterling.

The Carvin's are both equipped with their stock preamp, the differences are only that the fretless has a H50N in the neck position which is said to be thumpier, while the natural ash bass on the right has the J99 which is said to have greater output and be relatively brighter.

As far as the sound is concerned, I'd say it's very midrange intensive. You could coax a variety of sounds out of it, but it sounds best when you roll off the treble, boost the bass slightly (the low end gets too strong) and bump up the midrange IMO. Very nasal and Jaco'ish if you ask me.

On a passive bass, I can tell you that with Carvin pickups, you will achieve pretty much the same results. Their pickups really do boost mids/low-mids. With other brands however, YMMV. I once had a Bartolini MM-style pickup and I found it to be pretty aggressive. I was not a fan of the tone, but it was definitely snappy in with hi-mids.

Thanks for all the compliments by the way, all =)

7. One last comment, about J/MM combinations - truth be told, I *much* prefer P/J or even P/MM.

Having a P in neck position really leaves the door open for some really, really classy psuedo Precision tones that again, IMO, sit well in any mix.

8. what's wrong with the man's couch?!?!

nice family!!

9. If you ever need time off from your family I would be more than happy to mind them for you!! :cool:
    Beautiful collection man

10. I know it's the least expensive of the bunch but how do you like the Ibanez RKB900? I had a case of gas for one of those for a while. Nice family btw.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    What about the carpet?

Seriously, tho. Nice harem! :bawl:

12. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That fretless LB70 rocks!! I need to get myself one of those.

13. Truth be told, it is my most prized possession... not to mention the lowest priced of the bunch.

I swear by the RKB900.

Hahah, yeah, I'm not really a fan of the carpet, but thanks :)

14. Thanks - I really, really dig the LB70PF. Tons, and tons of mwah. I rock it with Roto flats.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

You have six four stringed basses. My wife wants to know if you are married. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes.

16. Yep =)

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow you sure like 4 bangers alright... not like there's anything wrong with that. :p

... oh nice couch too.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Bob to wife, "You see hunny. Marcus' wife lets him have six basses. BTW, those jeans make you look hot. I'll cook dinner tonight and take the girls to gymnasitcs."

19. This may sound strange, but my wife is a flutist and encourages my musical meanderings, even if it includes six 4-bangers.

She did say I had too many (I once had about 10) so I sold off four for her =)

Since then, I've been using the money to take her out and do whatever she may fancy.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Dude, now I'm in the "I hate you, too" club! :p

Who wants to be marcusalan? :hyper: