The Family Bed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Last wednesday afternoon i watched for the first time an episode of Dr. Phil and one of the segments on the show was about children sleeping in their parents bed on a regular basis.They had 2 peadatricans give opposite opinions about the pros and cons of having your Children sleep in bed with their parents. I am not a parent and i am not married as you could guess but i dont think i would want my Children in bed with me and my wife every night.They had a particular case on the show of this 7 year old who is deathly affraid of not sleeping with her parents as she has all her life and as you could guess it is causing tention in their marital relations.How do you feel about this?, do you let your children stay with you and your spouse in your bed and at what age should it stop if it has started?.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    My children wont be sleeping in my bed.
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It should stop (on any REGULAR bassis) at delivery. IMO (and we did this for both of our kids) even infants should not sleep in bed with the parents (it can actually be dangerous for them). Now I have no problem with either of my kids coming in and spending the night after a nightmare or other such midnight event, and when they are very sick (especially the youngest who has respriatory issues) they sometimes will sleep with either my wife or myself ( whichever is more capable of not sleeping well on that particular night ) in bed just to make it easier for us to keep an eye on them (and get the bucket under their chin to catch the nasty end of the stomach bug).
  4. +1.

I have no problems with the ol' "just for a little while" thing after a nightmare, but sleeping as FULLY sleeping? Needs to stop ASAP.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I used to crawl in bed with relatives when i was little... but usually early in the morning, and i'd sleep in my own room.

Like, i'd fall asleep, wake up around 5 am, then go crawl into bed with my mom and dad, or aunt and uncle, or grandma and grandpa, depending on where i was at the time.

Its cute for a bit, but after ages 4/5, its gotta stop.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Well if you don't consider sex to be an important part of marriage or don't mind your kids watching you bonk.........................
  7. oooooo, Don't get me started on this subject....... :mad:

and while yer at it Doc, tell the damn mothers to take the friggin' bottle away from the 4 and 5 year olds! puuhleeaze?
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I slept in my own bed as a child. My kids sleep in their own beds as well.

9. My first daughter had a VERY (week or so) short stint while we were trying to get her to sleep through the night. Our second hasn't reached that point, yet, but in both cases it was/will be a last resort. Aside from that, I pay for a house with 3 bedrooms, someone had better be sleeping in there.

10. When we first moved into our (then) new house, I was scared of sleeping alone. So, I actually had stints of sleeping in the same bed as my brother, and also a stint with my sister. This lasted between the ages of 5-7, I would say.

Keep in mind, I was very very young. I only slept in the same bed as my parents on especially bad nightmares as a kid.

I turned out normal. I think.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good question.. Let's go to our correspondent in California, Michael Jackson. Michael what are your thoughts about children sleeping in your bed?

brad cook
  12. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    When I was small (to about 6 or so) I use to fall asleep in my parents bed sometimes. I rarely ever woke up there, my dad would move me back to my bed when I was asleep. I dont see anything wrong with that. I think I turned out ok. As for my own kids, I would probably do the same thing as long as they arent there EVERY night.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    While I'm all for having an openly loving relationship with one's children, sleeping with them for seven years is way too long! I had my own bedroom when I was four through six, then I moved and had to share a room with my older brother. Frankly the ONLY time I slept with my parents was after watching "Ernest Scares Stupid" as a six year old. That and bouncing on them Sunday mornings til we went out to breakfast.
  14. Scared of the troll, were you? Don't worry, you can destroy him with milk and eventually a kiss from an idiot...

Aside from nightmare moments and stuff along those lines, there's really no reason for kids of that age to be sleeping with their parents. Strikes me as strange and detrimental towards natural development.
  15. I'm surprised it took so long. :D

IMO, the after-the-nightmare thing is cool, but the kids have to be little, like 5-ish.

Any other time/age/excuse isn't cool.
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    hahahahaha. no.
    except if they have nightmares.
    that's ok.

why not go all the way and breastfeed your children till their 14.
  17. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    A little off topic, but that reminds me of a woman in the news a few years ago who was still breastfeeding her son at 7 years old :meh: If he was hungry he would literally just walk up to her, pull her shirt up and have a feed.

Madness. :scowl:
  18. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    well he's gonna turn into a perfectly stable young adult.
  19. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    shut up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.