The farthest distance you've traveled to see a band...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Less than 25 miles, one way.

5 vote(s)
  2. 50 miles, one way.

4 vote(s)
  3. 100 miles, one way.

6 vote(s)
  4. 150 miles, one way.

7 vote(s)
  5. 200 miles, one way.

2 vote(s)
  6. 250 miles or more, one way.

29 vote(s)
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What is the farthest distance you've gone to see a band and what band was it? What's the average distance you travel to see live music?

My farthest: About 140 miles, one way (Appleton to Chicago, to see GWAR).

My average: About 90 miles, one way (Appleton to Milwaukee, where I see most of the bands that I see). I go to see a band in Milwaukee at least twice a year.
  2. Ithaca to DC to see Weezer, March '01. About 300 miles each way.
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Spokane Wa to Salt Lake City Utah! But then I did have back stage passes to the Primus show! :D Me and my friend got to hang with Les'. Then we were invited to the Seattle show, his treat with passes again.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mobile to Atlanta to see the Warped Tour for Less Than Jake. Appx 8 hrs each way. Mobile taxes performers out the butt, so I usually gotta head to Biloxi or Pensacola (45 minutes) or New Orleans (2-2.5 hours)
  5. Well, it wasn't intentional, but I saw Spoon in Toronto in '98 while I was riding my scooter around the USA.

So lessee...10,000 miles each way on the plane, 11,000 miles in total on the scoot. :eek:

Or maybe the Rewind tour a couple of years ago in Saratoga (Human League, Culture Club, some other frother you Americans knew well but no-one else did). So, 10,000 miles each way + however far it is from Clifton Park, NY...oh hang on, that was unintentional as well.

So the real answer...about 5kms! Ain't small countries great? :D
  6. I went from central Wisconsin to St. Paul on friday and saw the Duke Ellington Band play today....WOW!!! so that was about 300-350 miles, one way.
  7. ahh, about 800 miles...
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I drove from Detroit to Baltimore to see Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. Even made a 100 mile detour to pick up a cabinet I bought over eBay.

Missed the show 'cause I let family guilt me into hangin' out with them in B'more. :rolleyes:

James Martin
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd probably guess 50-100 miles. There are plenty of venues in Seattle. :)
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    280 miles by car. Get to the city late in the afternoon, watch the concert, and then start the journey home again around midnight. No sleep. Never again.
  11. From Denver to LA to see the first two shows of the Bauhaus reunion tour. It was before they decided to tour, so I also got to see them once in Denver as well.
  12. Hey Smash! You should come out to DENVER on tuesday to see Firewater and us! heheh!
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    On a Tuesday, I left San Francisco for the 600 mile drive to San Diego, saw Harry Connick Jr. with his funk band, talked to him (briefly) after the 3.5 hour performance, had him sign some stuff, and got back in the car and drove home to catch him on Wednesday in San Francisco. (Talked to him again after the show).
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Damn, people! There are some hard-core travelers out there!
  15. Los Angeles to San Jose for Halford/Queensryche/Iron Maiden.

It was well worth it.
  16. I saw Bob Dylan in Sydney then drove 300km to see him play in Newcastle the next night. It was worth it!
  17. Probably only about 40-45 miles, once to see Iron Maiden and once to see Big Country. Scotland is a small country and no matter where you are you're never more than about 40 miles from the sea!!!!

Mostly I see the big bands in Glasgow which is only about 20 miles away from home!
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Went to see the U2 Zooroupa tour in Milan, Italy. Well, I was already in Italy visiting family & my cousin asked me to go. It was an hour flight from Palermo to Milano. Don't know how far. Great show, I might add.

Also, my wife is a big KISS fan & we drove from Brooklyn NY to Detroit MI to see the opening show of the Reunion tour. Alice In Chains opened. We had 13th row center. GREAT SHOW!!!!!
  19. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    The furthest I've travelled is 176 miles from Liverpool to London, to see Oasis play at Wembley - only half an hour by plane.

It's only 176 miles to London? England is a small country... :eek:
  20. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I travelled about 150-160 miles one way to see Aerosmith at wembley stadium, before they closed it, Awesome show, included Toploader (as they were just becoming famous), stereophonics, black crowes, Lenny Kravitz and of course Aerosmith.

One of the best hows I've ever seen.

Surprise highpoint aside from Aerosmith,

Lenny Kravitz.

Surprise Lowpoint

Black Crowes!!

They just failed to entertain me, I'm sure I'll give them another chance though, sometime!!