Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE Favo(u)rite Bassist Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shkinnyBOB, Dec 16, 1999.

1. i was wondering who is everyone's favorite bassist. mine would have to be Tim from Rage Against The Machine. He uses all kinds of styles and he is very creative.

------------------
    ~*shkinnyBOB*~

2. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    Most definatly Geddy Lee from Rush.
    Great sounding rythms and the complexity of what he plays sounds great. (His Rickenbacker was an added bonus too)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of my "current" favorites is Gary Willis of Tribal Tech...if you're not real familiar with his playing/writing, check out his solo album from last year called BENT(w/ Dennis Chambers on drums).
    Also, take a look at www.garywillis.com
    especially the "ASK WILLIS" section; a couple questions from this month's posters & Willis' subsequent replies left me "rolling"...imagine asking Willis a question & getting an answer + a typing lesson to boot!

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey Jim.. Have you checked out Alain Caron...
    Try "Rhythm n' Jazz" e.g.
    This guy is intimidating!

5. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    shkinny--
    I'd also like to give Mr. Crommerford (aka Tim Bob; aka Timmy C; aka YtimK) a thumbs up!
    He's got to be one of the funkiest white bassists in all of modern rock. You can't just walk away from listening to a Rage album without pickin' up what he's been throwin' down!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Larry,...yeah, I got all of Caron's solo stuff; RHYTHM 'N JAZZ is my favorite(LE BAND is a lttle "too" Fusion-y & PLAY is more of a R&B-ish vibe...both are still inspiring, though). Caron has that "Thumb down/up, Pluck 1/2" technique down...check out the 1/16th note groove he lays down during "Slam The Clown". Another guy with similiar "chops to burn" is Adam Nitti.
    As far as "funky, white guys in Modern Rock", I'll stick with P-Nut of 311.
    The guy in Rage is "cool"...I like how he'll machine gun the ROOT in 1/16th notes while the guitarist changes up the chords.

7. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Props to P-Nut also! I could post in this thread everyday. Today I'm digging Jerry Scheff's work on L.A. Woman--mostly his tone. I've almost got it matched on my p-bass. I just looked him up on the AMG. He's been pretty busy since 1956.-- Used to play for Elvis!

[This message has been edited by Jason Brown (edited December 17, 1999).]

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jason...I like those Doors' albums, too(still have them all on vinyl). "Love Her Madly", "Riders On The Storm", "L.A. Woman",...all cool in my book.
    BTW...Jerry's son, Jason, is the current bassist in Chicago.

9. big_goofy_bass_player

big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    My favourite basss player is Mr D. Jesse from that fine band Ben Folds Five. After seeing them live just the other night I have to say he is one of the greatest bass player around at the mo. The thing that really impressed me was the way he made up for the space usually taken up by the guitar in the sound. His replacemnet lead parts still sounded bass-y if you know what I mean. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Jim

10. Im a big Geddy Lee fan also.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    hi guy's,
    favorite player...hmmmmm.........old school,
    jack bruce/andy fraser/jerry jermont/c rainey
    /gratuate school...alphonso johnson/family man barett/robbie shakespear/will lee/neil jason/ master classmen...james jamerson/anthony jackson/marcus miller.......
    master of the universe......JACO!

------------------
    aloha, jerry

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry, no argument from me!
    If any of you younger guys aren't famaliar with someone on that list...what are you waiting for?! Seriously, you owe it to your developement as a player & musician to expose yourself to as many players/styles as possible...just one man's opinion.
    Later...

13. agree with you, jimk

Anyway, my favourite bassists (and it's quite personal !) are Robert Trujillo (Infectious Grooves), of course Flea of Red Hot and TM STEVENS.

(All are in the funk&slap stuff, there are surely better bassists in other techniques - Stu Hamm for tapping for example...)

14. agree with you, jimk

Anyway, my favourite bassists (and it's quite personal !) are Robert Trujillo (Infectious Grooves), of course Flea of Red Hot and TM STEVENS.

(All are in the funk&slap stuff, there are surely better bassists in other techniques - Stu Hamm for tapping for example...)

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My fav has got to be Victor Woo-10.

I have seen him a couple of times and it is a religious experience

-KB

16. bootsyb

bootsyb

Jan 15, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shkinnyBOB:
    i was wondering who is everyone's favorite bassist. mine would have to be Tim from Rage Against The Machine. He uses all kinds of styles and he is very creative.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like the styles of the 60's British rock bass guys. How can you not like John Paul Jones. Really listen to that Fender tone on Led Zep 2. Great runs, great feel, very melodic.

17. Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Dec 12, 1999
    My favorite bassist would have to be Mr. Terrence (GEEZER) Butler of Black Sabbath! The work he has done over the past 30 years is amazing (especially about '69 to '75). I know a lot of people don't like heavy metal/hard rock, but I think Geezer Butler with Tony Iommi on guitar practially invented it. I saw Geezer in August and he blew me away!

------------------
    "Don't let those empty people try and interfere with your mind, just live your life and leave them all behind!"--Black Sabbath

18. emerald gash

emerald gash

Jan 15, 2000
    mine would be cliff burton from metallica, he did some amazing stuff.

------------------
    -the gash came, the gash saw, the gash shredded on her bass guitar

19. Bryan

Bryan

Dec 24, 1999
    Cliff was fast, I'll tell you that. For anyone to play speed/thrash with his fingers must have some chops. My favorite all around bassists are songwriters as well as players, some are even producers. I'm talking about artists such as Charles Mingus, Bootsy Collins, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. These guys have the total package- they go beyond being considered "just a bass player" they are not sidemen they are leaders and I like to see bassists gaining more and more control on the musical direction of their carrers.

20. InTheEnd

InTheEnd

Jan 18, 2000
    I would have to say that right now it is Flea. He may be overrated by some ppl, but I think he is a very good bassist, and he has a lot of technique, and knows little to no theory. I esspecially like what he believes. One of my fav. bassit before was Mike Dirnt from Green Day, as he was my first inspiration to bass playing years ago.