Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The feel of a Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What is the Spector neck most simillar to? I like the feel of Ibanez, but not Fenders. So are they their own feel, or could you place them next to another bass, feel-wise? I want to know, bercause I am looking into a Spector NS2000 Q4 or Q5. Quilted tops, yeah!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd REALLY like some help here...

3. I would compare them to the old Warwicks or the old Kramers. They have that chunky round neck feel to me.

4. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I would compare it to a soft ball bat, sawed in 1/2.
    There a sweet axe if you like those huge necks.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I own the Spector NS-4 (American version with 18-volt EMGs) and think that it's a comfortable feel. Feel is the most subjective thing around. I personally don't like the really shallow necks that I've seen on those Ibanez's that I've played...I think it was the SR series (???). They seemed so shallow to me that it was like playing a pencil!

On the other hand, the neck on my Spector is nowhere near as fat and chunky as a Fender Precision. Those are way to chunky for me.

I think the neck can be FAIRLY close to the feel of a Fender Jazz. It's a little fatter than the Jazz, but has a smoother feel (in my opinion).

You're best off playing a few different basses, INCLUDING the Spector, before you make a purchasing decision. There are a lot of Spector dealers out there, so if you live in or near a big city, you should be able to find one. But, caution...if you don't like the Spector, it'll cost you to replace it. They have good trade in values, as a whole, but the time and effort, not to mention any loss in trade-in value isn't worth it for any instrument!!! Be a wise consumer!

By the way...I love my Spector so much that I'd never replace it as my main bass!!!

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    If you do not like the Fender "feel," you will probably love the Spector. I owned one for a few years and loved the "non" Fender tone but couldn't stand the 'non' Fender feeling neck. The other dude was right in saying it has a sort of fat,wide and rounded feel to it. Nice,but not for me.

7. mybabemouth

mybabemouth

Apr 7, 2000
    I own a Spector NS 2000, but it's my first bass ever..So I'm not an expert or anything. But when I purchased it, I was trying out fenders, I didin't liek the sound compared to the spectors..the neck is a little smaller(thiner) than the jazz fender...hope that helps somehow.

8. Brendan,

The feel of any neck to the user/player of that particular bass is so subjective it is really quite difficult to express to anyone else unless I suppose both people are sitting together in a music store and can hand each other basses as they both try them out and compare personal notes on each one. even then both of their hands are probably different sizes and feel things differently.

On another note, are you aware that the "Q" series of the Spector NS2000 line have a non-carved "slab" body and a bolt-on neck? Compare it to a standard neck-thru NS2000 or a Euro-made NS series Spector... way, way different animal.

IMHO, if you are buying a Spector just to get the "quilted" maple look, I would think twice about the "Q" series. The "look" won't really help you play or even become a better bassist. There are alot deeper reasons to consider buying one of Stuart Spectors awesome Basses. Just ask RAM,he has alot of in-depth views on his Spector and could possibly provide a different light on the ownership of a Spector bass.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are considering a Spector bass, go for the absolute best model you can afford and then some, if you are looking at the "Q" series try to step up to the standard neck-thru NS2000 or better yet a Czech made Euro Series Spector. Don't get me wrong, I own a beautiful amber stain, neck-thru NS2000-5. I'm just a few $$$ short of picking up a gorgous Czech made Spector NS-5 quilted w./red stain.

Give that purchase a second thought beforehand!!

Peace :)

[Edited by RIZ on 09-24-2000 at 01:10 AM]

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not it in for the look. Ok, well, i am, but that's not it:D I like the look, the body shape (of which I am very picky), and, It is a step up from the bass I have (Ibanez GSR200). I am mainly looking into Spectors because I have heard a lot of good things about em. Mainly, I set my sits on the Q series, becuase without a job, it takes one a while to earn money (I make about 200-250 in the summer, less in the other seasons) so a ~550 bass was all I wanted to try for. However, not that I am 16, and can be employed full time, I am going look for something a bit higher up in the quality department than the Q's.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! 16? Congrats! I remember...well...actually I don't...16 was half my life ago! Or, it will be in a couple of days :(
    (Shameless plug: my 32nd b-day is Saturday, October 7, 2000)

Anyway...I'm not really all that familiar with Spectors outside the American Series. I apologize for not being able to provide you with more information, except to say that with respect to the NS series, I've read a TON of wonderful comments regarding these basses. I'm not familiar with the "Q" series at all.

But, here are two thoughts I'd like to pass on to you:

1. It is actually through my Spector that I "found" my own sound! I love it and love the tones I get! When the strings are new and bright, I get a certain tone. When the strings go dead, I'm able to get other tones that I still really enjoy. I'd like to think that everybody would have that experience, but I also know that everybody has different requirements. This ties into my second thought...

2. Play it first. Make sure you like it! If you don't, you're wasting your time and money on something that is unsatisfactory! We all have different feels, tones, construction, aesthetics, etc. in mind that make different basses worth their money where others aren't! For every time I've heard great things about Spectors (excluding my own view points), I can name as many people who shunned Spectors for the exact same reasons that I love them! :D

Bottom line: spend your hard earned money wisely! It doesn't get any easier to come by money in this life! Spend it only on things that you feel are worth it!!!! :D:D:D

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the compliment! But, I say it from experience.

I bought a Modulus Quantum-4 in 1994. I really liked it at the time, but hadn't done much shopping. There were some things that I actually DIDN'T like about it, though...I thought it was brittle, and on live recordings of my band at the time, I noticed that the two top strings only came through in the attack portion of the note; there was absolutely NO fundamental. So, I went "tire-kicking" and came across the Spector. It was so much warmer and more comfortable in a 34" scale than my Modulus was in it's 35". Plus, I really liked the narrower fretboard and fatter neck of the Spector. It felt a lot more comfortable, even though I had been playing the Modulus for 1-1/2 years at the time.

I'd never say anything bad about the Modulus, but I found that the Spector BLEW the Modulus out of the water in SO many areas that I wanted to replace the Modulus all together. It ended up costing me $800 to do so on trade! And, that was only after 1-1/2 years!

Another example happened when I bought my old Trace Elliot amp. I liked it, but have since found many amps that cost similar dollar amounts that are far superior in tone.

I had to learn the hard way, that when spending my hard-earned dollar, there are a number of options out there that are superior, for my needs, that you have to really look for. I'd hate to see someone else go through that same time-consuming and expensive effort!

12. Bass2222

Bass2222

Sep 22, 2000
    I would put a Spector bass close to a Warwick in feel. I have a Spector Europe series 5-string, and it is somewhat heavy. That is probobly due to the fact that it is a neck-through bass, but I've never played a bolt-on Spector so I can't say for sure. I don't know much about the other Spector models, but the Europe Basses are the real deal. If you get a chance I would definitely recommend you try one.

By the way RIZ...
    I'll back you up on that. The Europe basses are it! My bass has a an absolutely beautiful plum stain (sounds great too, its has to be the EMG's) Have you ever played the USA series Basses? They are the top of the line at Spector. One Day I will have to get my hands on one.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...definitely get your hands on one! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

When you do, A/B the two and see how much of a difference there is. I've never played the Europe series. Is it really that great?

By the way...my American Spector feels somewhat like the Warwick in terms of the right hand touch...but the Spector is more comfortable for me: string spacing. The left hand feels a lot more like a Jazz Bass than a Warwick. I hated the Streamer neck through. I hated the Thumb bass (which I used to love)...those both have much chunkier necks, which I can only handle to a certain degree.

14. RAM,

From what I understand they must be close enough to be somewhat comparable, as I remember reading that Stuart ships almost all the parts over to CZ, the same ones used on the USA Series, and they are assembled & finished over there. Only difference is the wood, Figured Maple vs AAAA Figured Maple for the USA Series, BTW, don't you have a special one-off AAAAA Figured Maple in your NS4?

Lucky guy!!!!

15. Hey Ram & Riz, my two favorite Spector fans,
    Thought I would chime in with my first post from the left coast, been away from TB for about a month.
    Here's the short summary, I bought a Ns2000 neck through Korean beauty and traded it (for half what I paid -600)for a Jazz bass.
    The neck on the Spector was so right on, no doubt. But the right hand action was the problem. I play over the bridge pickup and it was too damn tight, felt like i was playing a finger piano even with different strings.
    So if the left hand action is what's important than the neck thru and Czech Specs are awsome (don't compare to USA models) and, if you like an active sound the Spector is all the way. I got a cool vintage sound from the neck pu but not like the real deal. I think an NS2000 for under 6 is a good deal and worth it, wouldn't bother with the qs they feel wimpy and cheap by comparison.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Blipndub: so nice to be appreciated!!! :D:D:D:D:D And, you are my favorite former Spector owner!!!

Here are my responses to your quotes:

The neck on the Spector was so right on, no doubt. But the right hand action was the problem. I play over the bridge pickup and it was too damn tight, felt like i was playing a finger piano even with different strings.

Unfortunately, this is just characteristic of bass guitars: That's why some people prefer one bass while other's don't prefer that same instrument. It's the old "What's good for the goose is not good for the gander" problem. But, you've found what you like in a Fender. And, for that, I respect you!

So if the left hand action is what's important than the neck thru and Czech Specs are awsome (don't compare to USA models)

I'd like to think that left-hand action can usually be modified enough to meet people's requirements. What cannot be modified, in most circumstances, is string spacing (although some bridges DO allow for this), and also neck profile and depth.

and, if you like an active sound the Spector is all the way. I got a cool vintage sound from the neck pu but not like the real deal.

My Spector, with 18-volt EMGs is the only one I can really comment about on this...With both pickups set equally in the mix, I get a very modern sound. Dial in a bit less neck pickup and I get a fantastic jazz sound, especially when I roll off the treble just a tad. Roll off the bridge pickup about halfway and I get a really warm P-sound. When I add a touch of treble, I get that crunchy "modern" sound that's great in hard-rock settings!

But, one thing is for sure...while my bass is my own personal favorite, some people may not like the fact that the sound is very refined and polished sounding. I personally favor that sound, but some people may not. But, to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), only the American series offers the 18-volt electronics. Since I've never A/B'd mine with the euro-models, I'm not that familiar with the sonic differences.

RIZ:...my bass does have the AAAAA maple body. I will admit I've seen maple with more curl in it, though, like the natural finish Spector that I almost bought for an additional $200 when I bought my current one instead.

Also, I've heard slightly differing reports about the difference between the American series and Czech models, but one thing has been consistent: Czech models are definitely made to Stuart's exacting standards! But, I know the woods and pickups are different. What I'm not sure of, however, is the Spector preamp. That may be consistent from American models to CZ models. Is that what you understand as well?

17. The Korean neck-throughs and Czech-Specs have an EMG BTS preamp, while the USA Spector preamp is made by HAZ Labs, if I remember correctly.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey...thanks for the info! But, what does it all mean?

19. I have never heard of HAZ LABS before. I am sure they are excellent or Stuart would never consider using their components on the USA Line. The Euro Spectors must have the EMG -BTS system as there is a balence control(blend) and master volume with bass and treble on separate pots-just like it says there should be for that tone curcuit setup.

But the Korean NS2000 neck-thru series of Spector basses have a different set up, that being 2 volume knobs(1 per p/up) and 2 tone control knobs, again 1 per p/up for a total of 4 knobs. The NS2000 line uses the passive EMG-HZ p/ups with an active EMG tone curcuit of some kind... But I don't see anything like it at EMG's website or in their catalog. But then again you won't find any info on the EMG-HZ p/ups through those sources either!So inshort I don't know what kind of tone curcuit set up I have other than to believe Stuarts website info where it says that the NS2000 neck-thru's have EMG active tone curcuitry...:D

BTW... the NS2000 "Q" series has some sort of passive tone wiring.. not EMG's. and dare I say it along with blipndub, a "cheesy bolton neck" with a weird satin finish which highlites the fact that it has a 'slab-o-wood' for a body with a thin quilted veneer (decal?) applied to it.

Sorry I went into that, but as the very proud owner of a NS2000-5 NECK THRU which has the Ergonomically Carved and Curved NS body that Ned Steinberger designed, I look at the "Q" series and can't help but feel that they only serve to "cheapen" the image and erode what little respect the real NS2000 series basses, the neck-thru models, get.

Trying to stay tough next to any USA series or Euro Spector is a very humbling experience for an NS2000 bass. But I love my bass anyway!!! :D:D:D

Peace guys!!!