1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Cabronita-Not sure if I like it or not!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought one from Bentley in the classifieds. I listened to every sound file and watched every video I could find on this bass before buying. I liked what I heard. Now that I've played a couple of days (and in band practice,) I'm not digging it. Maybe something in the back of head is wanting a more traditional Precision tone.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If you can't bond with it...

3. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I always looked at these as a good mod candidate. Drop in whatever p/u you dig. I was thinking a Thunderbucker sure would work nicely.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'd like it to have more bottom and and clarity.

5. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I dropped a Fidellitron pickup from one of these into the neck position on an SX Jazz, and I, personally, think it's got a great sound soloed, or when mixed just a notch under the bridge's volume.

However, it sounds better with some OD or fuzz than it does clean.

YMMV.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wasn't happy with the sound of it either but the neck is my favorite of any bass I've played.

7. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Interesting. I used to have one and I never thought the low end was lacking. The lack of clarity was real though. It is something that is part of its character. Man they sure sound nice with some dirt!

8. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I'm with Gorn, I wanted to love my Cab. It looked great, I thought the pup sounded pretty good, neck was very comfortable and balanced but I just never bonded with the body ergonomics. I went through quite a quest before I realized the slab body is incredibly uncomfortable to me.

Fast forward a couple of years and I've pieced together a contoured single coil P body (Squier) and a MP tele neck (basically the same as the Cab) and it's perfect.

Pyrat likes this.
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Love my Cabronita. It's earned a full fledged position in the rotation. Always get positive comments from my band mates about the tone.

Cuzzie likes this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Check the dimensions of the pickup. Then see if TV Jones has a Thunder'Tron or ThunderBlade that'll fit.

11. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    The Cab is an awesome piece of meat, granted its not a high output PUP but it is a lovely tone and looks the business.

I have a clean boost on my board to give some extra welly and have also set my compressor to slight boost.

It will handle slap and dirty OD and Fuzz, I have also used it with more complex pedal engines from Source audio and it does the job.
    It also holds down tuning well as well as standard.
    If you want a more traditional tone you can play with the tone knob, effects etc to get it.

Look at yourself in the mirror playing it it won't disappoint you.

What colour did you get?

I have a sunburst @ASATMAN has a gorgeous red and if you want more about it there is a thread/club dedicated to it.

Basically it's all in the name, it's a 'little b@5tard/bitch/witch/goat' whichever translation you want.

If you want a prom queen, it's not for you, but if you want a girl you can take home to see your mamma, but misbehaves when the lights are out this is it!

twinjet, pudge and 2saddleslab like this.
  12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I think you should record the next rehearsal and see what you have. It may sound very different than you perceive. That has always been the case with P basses, what the audience hears and what you hear is different.

pudge likes this.
  13. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I had the squire vm cab.It was good as is but not great.I decided to drop a SGD neo thunderbird p.u.i had into it to see how would sound.That p.u was the kick in the pants it needed.There are endless options for p.u's that will go into that with a minimal amount of lot of work.Those basses are a modders dream!Don't give up on this bass too early.

TheMinutemen likes this.
  14. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    They do.
    P1260504_zpsae215c1e.

BigDanT, Cuzzie, AlexanderB and 4 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They're pretty awesome sounding filtertron type pups don't you think?

Nice bass too!!!

16. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks! Yes, and I have Thundertons on a hollow body. But I also thought the original CAB pickups worked just fine as well. Hard to A/B them without testing two similar examples at once.

17. I WISH Fender would make a P-bass w/ those neck dimensions...seems like lots of players dig them but they keep pushing the skinny necks at us...WHY? I own a pair of MP Telecaster basses AND a Frankenstein slab-body Dirnt w/ a CV 50's P-neck...all pretty great...and I wanted a Cabronita but most everybody HATES the sound. It'd be cool if the thicker U or older C-shapes were options on at least a couple of the P-bass stable...just one man's opinion~

18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Tonal "Clarity" was probably not a top item on the list of design features when that pickup was designed...
    I do appreciate the "grainy" and compressed character it has, but it is NOT as flexible as a Jazz single coil, for instance!

40Hz likes this.
  19. If you don't want it, you can make a donation. Tis' always the season to give.

Cuzzie likes this.
  20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm pretty sure the neck is very very similar to the old sq japanese bullet basses