Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the fender classic line jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 24, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have played a fender stratocaster classic '60 and i'm very impressed by this guitar. it's part of the mexican classic line of affordable vintage like guitars. i have seen on the fender site that they make a fender jazz bass '60. have you ever played this? what's your opinion?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think if u like 60's jazz basses it would be a sweet bass. They are supposed to feel very similiar and be a sweet reproduction. There was a article about them in a guitar mag a few monthes ago i believe and they thought very highly of them. I see a few problems though. There is a reason why new basses are different, they improve on the faults of the ones before them. Getting a real 60's jazz bass is one thing, but getting a copy is not my cup of tea i guess. The biggest thing i hate about these basses is the damn truss rod. You have to take the neck off to get to it. BUt if yoiur into the vintage vibe i heard they are very close to the original.

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I just recently tried out the MIM 60's Jazz and thought it was a real sweet bass. I really liked it thought they really nailed the look, sunburst body, vintage neck, nice fretwork and good quality rosewood fingerboard. It looks and plays almost similar to the 62 RI. Check out the specs at fender.com.

The only thing funky was it seemed they still have the same size pickups but the route for the bridge pickup is just larger so there is a gap at the bridge pickup.

FWIW if you like the look of the sunburst finish I saw the indonesian squier P-bass that seemed to have a nice wood grain with a beautiful sunburst finish to the body. 10 times better than MIM. What
    am I missing?

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I played one and thought it was a great deal for the money. I still much prefer the 62 reissue and/or the Jaco production models but for the $$ it's a great buy. And yeah, the truss rods are a pain but I love the sound and that makes it all worthwhile.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    more info on this one?