The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Five!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lambic, Apr 30, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curious about what you mean by "hot". Hot as in large amplitude on output signal, or hot as in "hot" tone?

I have never changed PUPs before so don't know how much they can actually affect tone ... guessing that instrument design, PUP placement, strings and wood are more deciding on tone

I got the EMG J set for next to nothing, along with the Quarter Pounders, so it's just an experiment. If I don't like either of them (assuming I can actually hear the difference) I'll just revert to std PUPs and flip the two other sets.

But then, as you say: the EMGs, if nothing else, result in active tone control...

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    I meant "hot" as in volume/signal strength. A local expert told me that "active" doesn't always mean "high powered." The EMGs also greatly reduce the hum when using one pickup by itself. The Quarter Pounders will still have the hum.

3. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)

hibachiduck #934
    HereIGoAgain #935

101% sig approved (and organic and all that Jazz)

Let me in, I hear laughter,
    Let me in, open up the door,
    Let me in, I hear music,
    I don't want to weep no more!

4. Dignan81

Dignan81

Feb 17, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    a number please?

This is my Fender Jazz Bass. washed a lot of dishes at a Ponderosa and traded in my 4str Ibanez in 1998 at the age of 17 to get her. my 2nd bass and now my #1.

was originally a Mexi Fender Jazz Deluxe with active pickups that I immediately put a badass bridge II on. more recently I swapped out the 13lb mexi body with a 8.3lb fender MIJ body and new fender noiseless passive pickups. glad I did. same original Mexi neck though as I've always loved the feel.

:bassist:

Attached Files:

5. Lambic

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)

Dignan81 #936

Let me in, I hear music,

6. colbyAKAbobby

colbyAKAbobby

Jul 21, 2011
    Number please? :D MIM Fender Jazz with upgraded MIA pups.

Attached Files:

7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV We are the Knights who say " Ni ". Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'll add my brand new Antigua Jazz bass. Quite a nice bass.
    The comparison shot is with my '78/'82 "transition period" jazz.

ant1.jpg
    ant3.jpg

8. I'll be leaving the Fender Jazz club for now guys :(

If anyone is looking for the epitome of an Alder/Rosewood 60's style J, click on my signature link. Great deal on one of the best Jazzes I ever heard...

9. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

We all love our jazz basses!

10. How do people set their tone pots?

I realize this is not easy to respond to but I still feel like hopefully starting a small exchange of experiences.

My main workhorse is a 72 Jazz. At some point I decided to set both volume pots wide open, tone pot around mid position and then work with amp EQ to get desired tone. And I must say I have been struggling to find a tone that REALLY suits me. I have tried with and without scooped EQ. I have tried running with a SansAmp BDDI and multiple settings on that. I have tried with and without compressor, with and without "boost" (added harmonic content) on my GK amp.

So, last rehearsal I accidentally rolled off on the bridge pickup volume, maybe 15%. Massive difference in tone. I don't know why I have always treated bass pots as a constant, but to me, rolling off on the bridge pickup immediately brought me very close to tonal goal. To the point where bass directly into amp with all EQ set at noon, no contour and no boost was tone heaven. Full, fat but articulate.

I have heard that my 72 jazz has different bridge pickup placement than Jazzes from other eras, but how? And how might that affect tone?

I'm actually an electronics engineer by training so I such be able to understand frequencies, phases, cancellation and stuff like that. Where does one find good information on the theory of adjusting tone on a jazz bass?

11. Lambic

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)

colbyAKAbobby #937

Let me in, I hear music,

12. Lambic

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    Everything fully open, making the knobs eventually useless :D

But I'm not really a connoisseur either... :bag:

Edit: I only own passive basses.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nope. I just went through some self-education here, with a little help from some TBers smarter than I. Even with your tone wide open, it is still doing something, as are your volume pots. If you could AB between jazz bass wiring with the tone knob wide open, and jazz bass wiring with the tone knob removed, you'd hear the difference. I converted one of my basses tone knobs to be no-load, and there is a difference I can hear.

14. Just got my bass yesterday ! It's a 70s reissue and wow, I love it ! I was used to play with a precision and that beast is totally different animal !

ForumRunner_20120617_092410.png

ForumRunner_20120617_092444.png

(Sorry for the poor quality pics...)

May I join the club ? :)

15. Beautiful. Block inlays are so much the Jazz Bass look for me. My latest acquisition (a 2000 American Standard) only had dot inlays and to me that just ain't a proper Jazz. Sounds and plays killer, of course, but .... I'm having it refinished from black to sonic blue to emphasize the 60s look so as to not notice lack of block inlays as much :)

16. Lambic

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)

benlauziere #938

Let me in, I hear music,

17. Thanks ! Glad to join the club :bassist:

18. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    My entry into the club. 2012 American Fender Jazz 5 :hyper:

Attached Files:

19. TurboT

TurboT

Aug 5, 2010
    I decided to make my first post on tb with a picture of my nice modded Jazzy
    Jazzy1.jpg

US Highway One with new black PG, Graphtech nut, Hipshot D-Tuner and seriell-mute-parallel switch.
    As this is my first post, can I join your club of the best Bass ever please? ;-)

20. Lambic

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)

Barisaxman #939
    TurboT #940

Let me in, I hear music,

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.