1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Woops I forgot the J East active controls installed maybe 10 years ago.

2. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    No thanks mate I wouldn't want to spoil it!

iceboxbass likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Keepin’ it clean and more understated? That’s cool, too. Cheers! :thumbsup:

P.S.: How are the Cobalt Flats mixing with the Custom Shop ‘60s pickups? Nice and growly?

4. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I aint a big fan of block inlays, and I just want to keep it as close to the original as possible. And yes the Cobalts sound great combined with the CS 60's.

iceboxbass and Malak the Mad like this.
  5. judeix808

judeix808

Oct 2, 2010
    Hilo, HI
    Replaced the original pup's with a set of Custom Shop 60's I had in my Squier Affinity jazz. More clarity, punch, and bite. Loving it.

iceboxbass likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

The white & maple Standard Jazz, right?

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Very seriously considering a JBass to add to my collection. I've come to find there are some that give me the EXACT sound I want, while others just sound dead. Guess it's a matter of finding the particular Jbass for me.

Question though:
    I play in a covers/party band, and most of our music requires that I cut through fairly well. The BL even says he prefers I use an active bass for that project.
    Is it worth waiting/saving for a little while longer to get an active variant? Or do you Jbass folks find that the passive version carries pretty well, as it is, regardless of genre?

I've been trying to find a "Player" series JBass for a few weeks now, but none of the big box stores near me have anything but Player P's. But if it makes more sense to wait and get an active version, I may skip over the Player series (for now), and go that route.

Chucky Stiletti likes this.
  8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I think either a passive or active bass can do what's needed - it all depends on your amp, it's settings, your bass output/tone (electronics/pu's/strings) ... and your articulation. Also, a passive J can have a drop-in active harness installed (in a matter of minutes) to put to the test. I have used an Audere JZ3 which has a big bass boost and nuanced mid controls. (no modifications needed) Going this route - try each out (one each over 2 rehearsals) and whichever one fits - stays.

iceboxbass likes this.
  9. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I really like my J Elite for the covers band, true active or passive will both work and it really comes down to the amp but for me, there's a lot to be said in having most if not all the control you need at your fingertips..

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    When you say "drop-in active harness", are you referring to something like an external preamp? I have an Ampeg SCR-DI that works great with all my basses, if that's what you mean. But I'm not sure I know what a drop in harness is.

11. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    True. I have other kinds of active basses and tend to find I love having that control at my fingertips as well. Love the passive sound, but for this type of band, I feel like it wouldn't work so well. It may make more sense to wait so I can get a J with an A/P switch - Best of both worlds.

Chucky Stiletti likes this.
  12. Malak the Mad

@JIO means an active wiring harness and preamp that drops right into the control cavity. Check it…

J Series Jack on Plate

You could always go with a Sire V3 or V7. They're active/passive, the preamp is pretty sophisticated and they've been getting largely good-to-great reviews across TalkBass. Plus, they ain't too expensive. :greedy:

I could also rave about P/J configured Jazz basses such as the Aerodyne (passive, but could accept certain preamps) or the Fender Reggie Hamilton signature Jazz (active/passive…recently discontinued, but not impossible to find), but that's a personal bias of mine.

JIO likes this.
  13. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Ohh, ok. I've seen those before but hadn't thought of that as an option. Thanks for the clarification.

And you're right, I hadn't even considered Sire, or any other manufacturer for that matter, for a Jazz setup. I was kinda adamant about going Fender, but... Well, now I got some more researchin to do...

As much as I'm gradually growing more fond of the P/J setup, I already have one (Warwick Streamer) and would rather get that classic "both J pups on, tone up" Jazz sound for this next purchase. Just want to be sure to have the active option.

Either way, I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet. I appreciate the input :thumbsup:

Malak the Mad likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Chasing some diversity? I can dig it! :thumbsup: However, if you're craving the classic "Jazz" sound, then I'd recommend getting a passive Jazz first. There's always the slight possibility it'll grow on you enough that going active may seem redundant or even unnecessary. That, too, could save you some bucks…not that an Audere preamp is so ferociously expensive, but I think you'll get my drift.

iceboxbass likes this.
  15. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Fender started making some Jazz bass Plus,1989-1994, that have an onboard preamp, 9V Kubicki, that's active/passive, both 4 & 5 string and fairly inexpensive to buy, that'll cut thru the mix like a "hot knife thru butta". I own the 5 string version 1990 Fender American Jazz V Plus and it has become my main player over a couple of my USA boutique basses with active preamps. They can be found for $749-989.00.
    But with that being said, I bought a 1998 Fender American Standard Jazz V that's total passive and it hits like a sledge hammer! It has no problem cutting thru the mix either. It all depends on the tone that you're chasing. Like what has already been said, string types and your own finger articulation makes a big difference in the tone that your bass is producing. Good luck!

JIO likes this.
  16. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree 100% Malak:thumbsup: I'd been spinning my wheels and greenbacks :greedy: for a very long time chasing a certain tone in my head. Then a couple months back I suddenly realized that it was that "Pure" passive jazz tone that'd I'd been chasing all along.:)
    It's good to have a variety of "tools" for different gigs.

R&B likes this.
  17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I see Audere has upgraded their JZ3 harness to PRO (and standard) - mine is the original (something in between) which has master volume, two stacked pots; (hi/low mid) and tone B/T plus a 3-way mini-toggle; (T boost/passive tone/B boost). There are others like it but this one is designed to 'drop in' easily and quickly with the 9v battery snug under it w/o modifications. I just did such an A/B test recently in a J and it took a few minutes to swap harnesses. So if you really like a particular passive J and are curious how that same bass will sound active - this is the way to do it.

iceboxbass likes this.
  18. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Where did you get the PG from??????? Oh can I have that bass. PM me Ill give you my address.

iceboxbass, juancaminos and gsgbass like this.
  19. gsgbass

gsgbass Guest

Mar 14, 2014
    I ordered the Black Moto PG direct from Fender.

20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Thanks.... Looks so good on a black bass. was going to get th red tort but the black looks great with a maple neck.

gsgbass likes this.