1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    The thread title is "The Fender Jazz Bass Club" and the headstock says Fender.... ;)

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    4sight, you are #1495 - Welcome aboard

3. Thank you!

4. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    just put the rotosound 66 back on the mim jazz

wow

that is something special

geddy knows a thing or two eh?

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The second-best 20th Century invention to ever come out of Great Britain. As for the first-best, well... :whistle:

6. Ah, well, if you want to talk about the Brits inventing death rays...

iceboxbass and JIO like this.
  7. fat_nermil

fat_nermil

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Hey there, everyone, I'd like to join the party. Here's my entry to the club, a MIM Fender Player Jazz.

PunisherBass.

zbigniew, RumbleMan3, 4sight and 7 others like this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Are you sure it's not a Fender "Punisher" Jazz? :D

BassmanM and fat_nermil like this.
  9. fat_nermil

fat_nermil

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    That is, actually, its nickname ;)

iceboxbass and Malak the Mad like this.
  10. Malak the Mad

A Jazz bass with a maple fretboard? Throw some super-bright strings on it and it'll be an awesome form of "punishment". :thumbsup: For that matter, what kind of strings is it rockin'?

P.S.: What's the source of your avatar? That "Lilo & Stitch" painting is absolutely gorgeous! drool

11. fat_nermil

fat_nermil

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Right now it has a set of regular EB Slinky Rounds. I'm still pretty new to bass and am feeling out different tones. I'm open to suggestions to try out!

Oh, and the avatar is an image I've had for so long I can't remember the source. I love that movie, and our dog is pretty much just like Stitch.

12. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    these..
    thumbnail_file-1-3-.

Crusher47, JtSD619 and fat_nermil like this.
  13. fat_nermil

fat_nermil

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    I've seen some discussion of those DRs and had been considering giving them a shot. I'll try them next, thanks for the suggestion.

Chucky Stiletti likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

If you like the "slinkiness" of Ernie Ball strings, but want to get super-aggressive, I highly recommend the Ernie Ball Cobalt roundwounds. Lotsa grind and growl there, boyo!
    Smiley01-1.original_zpsaha5cirp.~original.

I've been experimenting with other strings and searching for something that complements a Jazz bass well, but doesn't have the growl turned up to 11. I recently installed a set of Rotosound Solo 55 pressure-wounds on a '70s reissue Jazz and I think I'm on to something. If I really dig in, it growls like a Jazz should (especially one with '70s-style pickup placement), but while playing with a more normal attack (for me, that is), it has a very nice "purr" to it. Check out the demo on the Rotosound page…

SOLO BASS 55 | ROTOSOUND

RumbleMan3 and fat_nermil like this.
  15. fat_nermil

fat_nermil

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Sweet, sounds like I now have two sets to try out, thanks everyone!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. electro8

electro8

Oct 13, 2018
    Chicago
    All chromed up! Now to take it back off and age it.
    What would you use? A friend suggested using etchant/muriatic acid/ferric chloride, but that's some pretty nasty stuff and I don't really think I will need it after this. How does leaving them over a bowl of vinegar stack up against the more corrosive solutions?
    DSC00656-2.

17. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I can’t say whether this will work as I haven’t tried it, but I was told to use apple cider vinegar and a handful of back yard dirt. Yes, that’s what they said. A little daily agitation apparently helps too. I’d want to test that on something else first.

18. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

So, how about tincture of time?

JIO likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A good topic/name for a song :thumbsup:

iceboxbass and R&B like this.
  20. Or the TB house band...