1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Already done, sort of. “Time is Tight” by Booker T and the MGs! :bassist:

But my point is, the best and most believable patina is good honest wear. JMHO of course.

And shell pink! With stack pots!! Awesome sauce.

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Well yes, but he is talking about a Flee "road-worn" sig J. I seem to recall that someone on tb actually had a Fender "road-worn" bass refinished because he liked the bass but not the faux distressing. (reversed distressed?) :)

iceboxbass and R&B like this.
  3. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Undress the destress?

electro8, JIO and iceboxbass like this.
  4. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Consider the DR Pure Blues strings also. I’ve been using them for 3+ years now. They’re the best of both rounds & flats. A nice smooth feel to them, they don’t tear up your fingers like steels do. Plus they have that warm lush tone of nickels, but yet you can get that growliness you get with steels. They’re long lasting as well. Here’s a video demo. Great comparison demo between DR Hi-Beams, DR Sunbeams & DR Pure Blues.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    fat_nermil likes this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    With so many brands out there, each with so many different options - I find that once I discover one I like I stick to it, at least for a while. Used to be more a GHS guy, now I primarily use D'Addario. (and LaBella for flats) The state of the art for strings is pretty high and across the board these days.

6. We really are spoiled for choice, I don't like to think how much I've spent trying different brands! Currently playing Fender 9050Ms on my Jazz, love them.

7. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I e been hooked on D’Addario for a long long time.

I tried DR’s for a change. They lasted 15 min on my Jazz Bass before I ripped em off and returned to normalcy.

DR’a are nothing but clank clank. Worst strings I ever used.

I mostly use the half rounds but I got a couple of sets of chromes I’m gonna use one day soon.

8. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Hmmm. Fender flats on a Jazz. Must try. (Too middy for a P IMHO.)

For J basses, I’ve been torn between GHS Pressurewounds and D’Addario nickels thus far. Once tried TI rounds, sounded great, but pricey and super skinny. Traded that Jazz.

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I used the DR High Beams once and they weren't for me but these new "Blue" strings sound interesting. I use nickel strings and get growl digging in - when it counts, and clank depending on amp/tone setting with a pick. Both there but still full and warm, not overly metallic. The advantage is nickel strings can also allow a close to flat-wound sound played with fingers and tone dialed down. It all depends on how specific or versatile you choose that bass to be. Some basses just do one thing incredibly well. (reason for more than one bass!)

iceboxbass and Chucky Stiletti like this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Pressurewounds are good also :thumbsup:

Chucky Stiletti likes this.
  11. The Fenders took a while to break in, far too much clank initially. It took a good couple of weeks, but they sound and feel perfect to me now.

iceboxbass likes this.
  12. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    cool avatar.

4sight likes this.
  13. Thanks, it's a modded Mark Hoppus. Not entirely appropriate for this club thread, but the body's offset at least, and it has a Jazz control plate :smug:

Playing my Jazz more at the moment.

iceboxbass, JIO and Chucky Stiletti like this.
  14. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Yeah I hear ya JIO:thumbsup: I too used GHS Precision Flats for several years...then introduce TI Jazz Flats 5 string set for a Christmas gift, amazing strings...until you break one while on vacation out of state and then realize the cost of 1 string is the cost of a set of something else...so then I was introduced to DR Pure Blues at a GC store while on vacation, they were just newly introduced, primarily because they had no flats in a 5 string set. But I loved everything about the DR Pure Blues so much that I stayed with them. I’m trying out a 5 string set of Optima Unique 24kt Gold coated strings on my 90 Fender American Jazz V Plus since I bought it last year, so far so good. Are they better than the DR Pure Blue strings? No. would I buy again? Most likely not. But the shiny 24kt Gold looks soooo nice against the metallic purple!:D
    I did run into a great sale on a 5 string set of TI Jazz Flats last month and bought a set. Haven’t decided yet which bass will get these. Maybe my Warwick Streamer 5 Fretless. I’ve found also that different basses, whether it’s the same brand, the very same model or different brand/model, may not sound just right with using the same brand of strings.
    Yes, these days with higher technology in strings there are so many choices in newer strings. I find, as musicians, we look and strive to improve on our tone all the time. And therefore we tend to try new products that may help us to do that. Especially with something that’s primarily lower cost such as a set of strings. One thing for sure that I find with the newer strings is that the extended life of a set of strings have improved much more. FWIW IMHO Peace:)

R&B likes this.
  15. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Now I LOVED the Fender 9055Ms until they quit making them.:bawl::crying:
    I’ve done an extensive search online for them, and found some sites advertising some...only to find out that they were old advertisements and “no longer in stock.”:banghead: They still make the 4 string sets. I’ve sent emails to Fender about whether they’re still going to make the 9055 sets....no answer. :rollno:

16. H3WMW

H3WMW

Jan 7, 2019
    Falkirk, Scotland
    I got one a couple of years ago to use in a Rush tribute band in Scotland called Clockwork Angels. I love it!!

Attached Files:

4sight and iceboxbass like this.
  17. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I have TI jazz flats on one of my jazzes and the other one has Elixirs. I usually bring them both to gigs. Completely different sounds

iceboxbass likes this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I forget, did we ever discuss their discontinued FlexSteel strings?

I recently tried a set of .100-gauge DR Pure Blues, but that turned out to be very, very brief. It's not that they sounded bad, but they seemed to respond best when played much more gently than I'm used to. It was as if they were designed for players with a rather more deft touch than myself. (Damn these massage-therapist's-hands o' mine! :rolleyes:) I gave them to a friend who normally uses even lighter, .095-gauge strings figuring they might serve her and her more subtle/skillful touch better than my clawful meathooks.

I haven't tried GHS's pressurewounds yet, but last year I tried a set of Rotosound 55 p-wounds on a Parts-Jazz with '70s-style pickup configuration and a set of Highway One pups. They sound and feel great, which is saying something 'cuz I normally don't go for stainless steel strings. I suspect it's the pressure-treatment that helps tame a bit of the brightness.

As soon as I finish a projekt-in-progress, I'm going to see how that '70s RI Jazz sounds with said Roto's and a set of Fender Pure Vintage '74 pups. If my calculus is on the mark, I should end up with a supah-funky beast that'd make the Seventies proud! :bassist:

One last, related thingy…

Normally I prefer .100-gauge strings, but I grabbed a set of Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass .107-gauge strings from Guitar Center (use one of their 15%-off coupons…it'll save you about $10 :greedy:) and I was very impressed. They have enough extra flex that I didn't notice the larger gauge and the sound I got out of them was wonderfully rich. Suffice it to say, I can see why some are willing to drop 2x to 3x more to get them.

iceboxbass likes this.
  19. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    GC has been sending me store credits for spending so much on one bass (Am Pro)

So each time I get $20, I buy a different set. I like the fenders, so got those. Already have some SiTs which I love. Got Slinky’s yesterday.

If I get another I’ll go Rotos

All of these are sitting in the string draw currently. 5 unopened sets

Malak the Mad likes this.
  20. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    fat_nermil, you are #1496 - Welcome aboard

iceboxbass and fat_nermil like this.