1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I had stolen some parts from this bass for another project several months ago, today I decided to put her back together with some others parts I had sitting around. Mighty mite neck and body with RW pups, hipshot ultralite tuners, Gotah bridge etc... not a bad player that anyone could call their main bass :)

BF94DF58-B2E0-4093-A944-D779A9A28704.

JBass73, BassmanM, 707GK and 2 others like this.
  2. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Ok... hard for me to admit, but I’ve recently discovered my bass could use just a touch more ‘oomph’ in its sound, especially how it sits in the mix, sounds great but feels lacking a bit in body, and gets a bit lost. I think it’s maybe a throaty midrange to help it get heard a little. Im guessing this is it, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but when I play it sounds like there are really high highs, and then a big bass and Lo mids but it sounds a bit empty, I guess scooped?

What can help me out? I was think strings would make a difference, but now I’m not sure is the right strings to go, I’m thinking something with a mellow treble, more of a low treble, almost high mid, instead of that more brittle high treble. A nice crisp bass, and a big fat midrange. I was thinking pure blues, but they are just too difficult in my area, but most other strings are easily accessible to me - D’Addario, GHS, rotosound, nearly every other DR string besides pure blues, Ernie ball, so yeah. I was considering flats, cos they have a nice smooth, consistent sound, which is what I really want, but will they be too lacking in a good treble where I can’t slap. I would like a string that’s a good middle ground between a warm punchy midrange in fingerstyle and a nice balanced top end for slap. And I need something that will age well, that after a while it will just have a nice even tone, not lose to much of its presence, but not sound like fresh and zingy all the time, if you know what I mean.

Should I perhaps swap out the stock player pickups for some cs60s? Or could it be that this tone is the nature of alnico V? Is alnico 2 a better option? Anyone else experienced similar, like with a player jazz bass or other bass with some alnico V, and what helped you?
    I was also thinking raising the middle pole peices on my pickups, but then I’m also scared if I make things worse.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT OR SUGGEST SOME STUFF! THANKS :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@RumbleMan3; Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. They occupy a strange gray area between rounds and flats.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  4. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    I just placed an order for some Hi-Beams 45-105. I've heard good things about them.

marko138 likes this.
  5. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have a RW jazz which came with DiMarzio DP123 pickups. I think they might do what you are hearing. Nice and fat while retaining the typical jazz bass tone. They also have adjustable pole pieces. And no hum! :thumbsup:

R&B and RumbleMan3 like this.
  6. My J has been strung with nothing but Hi-Beams since 1997. Usually get at least 1-2 years out of a set. There's a great video on how to properly install them, and it's truth if you want the best results.

SRVoodoo and RumbleMan3 like this.
  7. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks. I’m after that fat midrange sound u might find more on a p bass or that growly fodera sound, while retaining the sound of a jazz bass, just the added midrange punch.

Are they alnico V like custom shop 60s?

BassmanM likes this.
  8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    So I’ve looking around at pickups. I’m not fully committed in swapping out my pups but it’s nice to know I’ve got options in case I feel I want to make the change.
    So based on what I’m after, (I basically want to keep the same full sound as the player jazz bass pickups, but with some added oomph and midrange to it.) I’m thinking with these so far... which would make the best fit?

•Custom Shop 60s (alnico 5)

•Lindy Fralin (alnico 4?)

•DiMarzio Model J (ceramic?)

•Seymour Duncan Antiquity II (alnico 2)

9. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Nice, I’ll check them out. How do they go over time. Are they still nice and sweet for slap too?

I’ve only ever played nickels, ever. Never steels, never flats, so I don’t know whether nickel is the way to go, or try something else but i don’t know whether the others will be any better, and I don’t want to buy sets of strings and hating them and then taking them off and buying a new set within a couple days.
    So I want something where I can decide on it, and be set and well off with a nice rounded sound.

10. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia

I. AM. SOLD!

11. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    Thanks GT. Got a link to that video?

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    You can always add a preamp like the STC-3P the and add more mids when you want them.

13. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    ...for the record I did search the forum but came up empty.

14. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    I got this back at the end of May and I can't get enough of it. It's my first Jazz bass. I put a "black sparkle" pickguard on it that actually has a very, very dark green tint to it that I didn't like at first, but it's growing on me. The neck is amazing and so is the tone. It doesn't look half bad either! :laugh:

EDIT: forgot to mention, it’s a 2017 American Professional

AmProJazz. AmProJazz Front. AmProJazz Front Headstock. AmProJazz Back Headstock.JPG AmProJazz Back. AmProJazz Neck.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    R&B, Bthebassplayer, marko138 and 8 others like this.
  15. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ceramic actually (didn't know... ).

DiMarzio Model J™ | DiMarzio

16. hemmerlinj

hemmerlinj

Sep 21, 2012
    Astoria, NY
    I recommend a set of the Aguilar Jazz pickups. I have a set of the 4J-60's in one of my Jazz Basses. Very happy happy with them. I also recently put a set of their Hum canceling J p-ups in another Jazz bass and I was very surprised at how great the sound. I can't vouch for their 70's era pickups, but I'm sure they're great too. I have Aguilar pickups in all 4 of my Fender basses actually.

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My Fender Jazz 24. Got it in the classifieds here several years ago, and I love it. No issues at all.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    WOW! Love that color!:drool:

MonetBass likes this.
  19. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California

Sorry for asking if it has already been asked/answered!! Have you tried adjusting the pickup height or dialing the tone knob back a bit? I'm also using Ernie Ball Cobalts, but the rounds instead of the flats. IMO, these strings have very "focused" mids that I haven't been able to get with any other string. Just my experience, though. They are way too bright and almost "sterile" sounding when brand new, but after a week or 2 they really come to life.

My jazz definitely sounds scooped with both pickups wide open and tone all the way up, but dialing it back 40-60%, depending on the room, etc. It really fattens up the low-midrange while retaining that high-mid chime that I enjoy from a jazz bass. I also had to lower my pickups quite a bit, and I have my bridge pickup a TINY bit closer to the strings than the neck pickup. The sound was very boomy and muddy, lacking that midrange growl, when the pickups were closer to the strings.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  20. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I love Hi Beams. I use them on my Jazz, however, I just picked up a set of Fat Beams. I've always found the Hi Beams to last forever as well.

SRVoodoo likes this.