1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Wow thanks! Yeah I’ve been playing a hit with the tone recently and having it about halfway sometimes more and it definitely helps balance things out. I think a good setup and some good strings should help bring out the extra character. Adjustments to pickup pole peices might be the last resort

707GK likes this.
  2. I'm new to the club, can I get a number? :p
    I'll receive my first J during the next week.
    [​IMG]
    I always considered myself a P bass kind of guy but I also play an EBMM Caprice (PJ) which gradually lead me to appreciate the J neck profile, plus the clarity and articulation a J-style pickup can give you. I ended up gassing for a Fender J and this Performer series has been released at the perfect time, so...
    I played a couple of J basses before and I'm accustomed to the V-V-T system, but my Caprice is a PJ and both pickups are basically humbuckers with 2 completely different voicings, so there will be some differences in tone with my Fender Jazz.
    So... how do you use your J? How do you blend the pickups?
    Thanks.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great looking Jazz! Love the color!

Typically I tend to run my jazz with bridge vol full, neck vol 1/4 to 1/3, tone ~3/4 finger style, 1/4 pick.
    If you want to get as close to a P-bass with the Jazz, full neck PU (no bridge PU) with tone adjusted to your liking and playing style.
    Pretty simple! Like the P-Bass, plug and play brother!

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  4. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    Awesome color, congrats!

What I really like about a jazz is the variety of sounds it provides. Sometimes a song needs both pups full on, sometimes just the woolier neck tone is needed, sometimes you need that tight J solo’d. I typicaly keep my traditional jazz favoring the J or adding the neck about 30%, my P/J is usually both pups full on.

Mingus_Habens and gsgbass like this.
  5. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

The color goes great with the Maple fretboard, and Black PG. Congrats! [​IMG]

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  6. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    Yeah, a good setup is a game changer. Took mine to a local Fender tech 1 week after getting the bass and it made a huge difference. Not only in feel but in tone as well. The Ernie Ball cobalt flat wounds do seem to be right up your alley.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  7. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    @RumbleMan3

Maybe we should delve into amp settings as well. You might not but pushing enough mid range at the amp

What amp are you using, and what settings?

gsgbass likes this.
  8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Rumble V3 100w combo, all EQ flat, gain and master around 9 o'clock. Jazz bass both pickups, tone wide open. Month or 2 month old roundwounds (stock from the bass, still have a little bit of brightness)

9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Not sure the size of band you are accompanying

Try adding the low and high mids while cutting some low end.

When using the Rumble tone stack, I ran as follows
    L 9-10 o’clock
    LM 2-5 o’clock
    HM 12-4
    H. 12

I also ran one pick up or the other at 80% while the opposite was on full

Obviously tastes will vary, try and see. Simplest thing to do if you find a setting you like, snap a photo of where the knobs are. Then as you twiddle more you have a setting you can fall back on

Good luck and keep us posted

bhendrix likes this.
  10. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    It’s a pretty quiet sometimes medium band
    Generally play in tight spaces like lounge rooms or bedrooms.
    It’s not I can’t hear myself, it’s more the clarity of my notes don’t come through, like now in the mix, it sound all bass.

I recently bought a boss gt1b, and created my own joe dart inspired patch, with a markbass amp sim, 1x15 speaker sim, lots of limiter, and slight adjustments to EQ, and it’s got a sound that really pops in the mix. At least it helps a lot. And it’s a very versatile sound which is good. So I’ve been playing around with that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  11. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Bedrooms?

12. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Yeah. We just jam out and practice at each others houses. Depending whose house, sometimes it’s their lounge room, their bedroom, wherever we have some good space.

It may sound a little funny but it’s a pretty comfortable relaxed setting. Where else do bands get together and practice? Garage is too cold and echoey. All the other rooms are occupied by someone’s parents or younger siblings. The bedroom is normally a quiet place we can all set up and jam and not be disturbed. Or if we can, the lounge room is a more ideal space

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Anyone know if the QC/manufacturing issue with the EB cobalt flats breaking really easily has been resolved? I read around that it was a common problem that happened to a few people, but not sure if EB ever corrected the issue.

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It happened to one of my sets a year or more ago, but to be fair, I did over-tighten it while stringing it. As for my other set, I haven't had a problem. Then again, you'd probably get a better answer from a gigging bassist who uses them.

15. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I was able to pick up my Player Jazz.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    Nice looking bass! Love the color of the body and the pickguard!

gsgbass likes this.
  17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It may look like buttah, but does it play like buttah? :bag:

Seriously though, it's not a color-combo I would've personally sought out, but much to my surprise I rather dig it. :thumbsup:

gsgbass, RumbleMan3 and BassmanM like this.
  18. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Wow! That is gorgeous! I would have never thought that colour and pickgaurd combo would look so nice!! Especially with the black strings it all just looks great!

Really nice job! Super super cool... Be very proud!

gsgbass and BassmanM like this.
  19. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I also wanted to ask does anyone have a hi mass bridge in their jazz bass, (maybe if u have a geddy) like a Badass, Omega Bass, Hipshot Kickass, something like that, and how does it differ to a normal bridge? Does it change the feel, or the sound? I’ve heard it helps sustain a little, is that it?

20. Nice looking bass... Why the d'addario tapes over other tapes?

gsgbass likes this.