1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Here's a pic of me playing my Performer Jazz this past Saturday at a private party:

upload_2019-8-6_10-40-4.

The Yosemite pickups are awesome, IMO. And, I even like the Greasebucket tone control.

2. IMO, the Yosemite pickups are VERY punchy and brighter than the vintage jazz pickups. This bass also has the Greasebucket circuit, meaning that no low is added when tone is rolled off. Combining with bright sounding pickups, some people may find it too "thin" for their taste. I personally love the "modern" tone coming from this bass.

crucislancer and Malak the Mad like this.
  3. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Im thinking of switching to custom shop 60s jazz pickups. I hear nothing but good things about them, and they are one of the most popular jazz bass pickups.

I just wanted to ask for anyone’s experiences with them, because if I get them put in, they’re staying, and I want to know that they are it, and that I haven’t made a mistake.

As far as I know specs wise, they are alnico V, very similar to what I’ve already got, overwound, and the output levels on the package say that bass is 6, and both mid and treble are 4. Reviews around the internet say that they don’t have an exaggerated, or harsh top end, but just nice, and that the emphasis is more on a fat bass and a clear midrange. I like the sound of that!

I’ve also read an experience of someone somewhere that said they were better than his stock pickups in his 70’s something bass.

I’d love to hear from anyone who uses these or has used them. :thumbsup:

Thanks

4. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Reason for wanting to swap them in is pretty simple. There’s nothing wrong with my current pickups and their sound. I’m just looking to expand my sound a bit, after that more classic funk jazz bass sound. More stronger midrange sound. Good and even across all the frequencies.

So far I’ve found playing around with the tone knob suited to the environment around helps. I find in a lot of settings, I’m keeping it about halfway, mostly for both pickups and neck pickup, and bridges pickup is always either full tone or full rolled off.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  5. Hahahahahaha! You’re a funny dude! Going from one extreme to another! I did that too. I’ve had so many basses to find the “one” and now I only have a jazz bass....

Anyway, have you looked into the Aguilar AG-4J-HC pickups? Or the Aguilar AG-4J-60? I here good things about those too!

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  6. @RumbleMan3 I've got them in my Jazz. Didn't notice a whole lot of difference on clean but with driven and distorted sounds they have more focus/control.
    The problem discussing this stuff is our ears, gear, environment & context are all different. It's all fun though!
    Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup:

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  7. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Never satisfied, always looking for the next even better thing... I’m only human after all! :roflmao:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I have heard that Aguilar do jazz bass pickups, but I thought they don’t actually make much of a difference. I thought they sounded rather thin and a tad quieter.

However, Last time I did my research on aguilar jazz bass pups was at least a year or a year and a bit ago, perhaps I’ll have another look. If I end up liking them, it’ll work out well because a shop near me also stocks some aguilar j pickups (though I’m not sure which ones.)
    They also sell the custom shop 60s, along with original jazz bass and SD antiquity II pickups and others, so I’ve got a good variety available to me.

9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Fender Pure Vintage 74's can still be had. I use them and like the overall sound of them. The PV 64's are also good but good luck finding a set.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  10. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    May I join the club?

NBD today. 2015 Classic Series 60s Lacquer Jazz Bass. :cool:

014F748A-551F-4CE5-91AF-2B8857BAAAAC.

11. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    That is one very nice sunburst. Congrats.

BassmanM and RichardPjazz like this.
  12. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Thanks!

13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    RichardPjazz - You are #1510 - Welcome aboard :)

RichardPjazz likes this.
  14. Jonahlane

Jonahlane

Mar 29, 2016
    IMG_0270. My collection... Featuring my two parts Jazz basses and my aerodyne.

wncBass, Hachimitsu Pie, R&B and 6 others like this.
  15. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Thank you!

16. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    F651037E-549D-4B0B-B79D-934695974DCE. I am part of the club now!

I finally found a jazz that I bond with. It’s a classic 60’s lacquer!!

I just have no idea what’s the idea of using orange instead of amber to tint the neck but it sounds so great. I can’t complain.

17. .. seems yellow and ok in the picture ...

bassman74 likes this.
  18. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA

And that's a proper burst finish for the era it is portraying.

19. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Thanks to my iPhone because in real life it’s super orange.

It’s not the end of the world since it’s my only complaint. Everything else is just perfect. Starting with the tone and feel, The weight, and the balance are perfect. Even the tuners are super smooth.

20. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I never got the over-the-top amber (in your case orange) tint Fender uses on their 'vintage' themed necks. I've seen a lot of actual vintage Fenders and none look that high chroma. The late 90's RI of the '51 P also was an example of excess. The garish 'mustard' body color was nowhere close to an aged early 50's hue. It's not like it would have been difficult to tone down the value of these colours - apparently someone in marketing believed in the "more cowbell" theory. :)

Just my personal take on it (not aimed at your bass specifically) - as you said, it doesn't take away from it being a great instrument in general. :thumbsup:

R&B and sneha1965 like this.