1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Nice 60s lacquer jazzes! Here's another pic of mine IMG_20190812_133650. IMG_20190812_133803. well it started life as a 60s classic lacquer jazz... I bought the loaded body, switched to vt/vt control, mint pg, one piece maple neck.
    It's mean:cool:

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

...and damn pretty! :drool:

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    White jazz basses ..... OH YES!!:thumbsup:

4. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    Here's my mim. She's a beast. Named her rose.

Attached Files:

5. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    WoW! I like it very much! Congratulations!!!

Where did you get your stacked knobs jazz control plate?

6. Thanks guys, it's such an under utilised colour scheme IMO, but I've seen a few of the Fender pro jazzes in the same do-up now too.

@bassman74 I ordered the parts online, mostly from guitarpartsresource and put it together myself. There are lots of options for prewired harnesses online though.

I recorded a little sound clip for those interested... fingerstyle, labella black tapes. neck pu full, bridge pu 75%, straight into hartke lh500 with 115 cab, cell phone sound recorder. It picked up a lot more of the string/fret sounds (acoustically) than would be apparent in a band setting but it gives you an idea of what I'm going for.
    :bassist:

Attached Files:

7. I like that A LOT. :thumbsup: Mine developed a gooched up neck so mine is also an assembly at this point with CS pickups and a MIA neck I got in a different deal, but she lives on, better than ever. IMG_20190804_161102.

8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Custom shop 60s pickups by any chance? How do u find them, im gonna put them on my jazz hopefully the arrive in stock at a local bass store before end of september.

From my understanding, they really take the essence of the jazz bass sound, and just make it better! A big fat bass, punchy midrange and clarity in these pickups. From the demos ive heard, they are a real, full yet balanced sounding pickup, in all 3 positions, tone open or closed. Its got a strong, warm growl and really brings the best out of the bass.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Stunning basses guys! :drool: ive seen so many beautiful jazz basses in this club! Hope to see more and more!

10. lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Clip doesn’t work ?

Hachimitsu Pie likes this.
  11. Oh damn.. it works when I go to play it. What about if you click on the file name, does it come up as a download?

12. lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nope

13. lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nope

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It works for me. I just clicked on it, it downloaded just fine, then I played it in VLC Media Player.

15. Yes they are. I've got 5 Jazzes, none are slouches but the 2 with those pickups are my favorite sounding. I highly recommend them. They have the Jazz "quack" but bigger everywhere.

RumbleMan3 and lowdownthump like this.
  16. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have a few Jazzes that are all different in character, but a bass I own that sounds like a classic nasally (quack) J on steroids is my '68 Coral Deluxe Bass (post-Dano w/lipstick singles). The B pu is in about the same location from the bridge but the N pu is closer to the neck. Nails that nasally J tone big time! It favors mid/treble but can deliver enough bottom to sound like a bass - kind of my preferred territory these days.

17. Just out of curiosity, what does you guitarist use? I have a Jazz/Precision theory and I'm curious given the sound description you mentioned with that bass.

18. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    E2DACFD2-3AE8-4C1F-8F4F-9747B49EFC00.
    Here is my Fender Jazz...

19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A modified 70's Strat through a Fender tube amp. I lean towards bass tone with distinct definition of the note but old-school fat, so I use a pick mostly and palm mute for colour/texture. To help keep the 'bass' in the mix, I use a 15" JBL live (Ampeg B-15N) and an 18" Carvin in our rehearsal space.

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  20. Gotcha, thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I'm always interested in how others approach dynamics and sonic space tonally.

JIO likes this.