1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    In a nutshell, what's your preferred settings?

2. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Sweet! Thanks! May I say, you have a lovely Fender bass collection yourself... I remember seeing them here on TB a while ago.

May I ask, as much as I love jazz basses too, why do u have so many? Surely they all have their own mojo, but do they really sound that much different, that you would use different jazz basses on different gigs? Or do u have different jazz basses purely just for the different looks? Just curious, because I’m tossing up between buying another jazz, as a backup, or a stingray bass, for some different sounds.

3. Wow that thing is sweet... sparkly gold pg is a hit. Gold anodized was the other option I was thinking of but they aren't easy to get hold of. Sparkly gold didn't ever cross my mind. I like the drilled holes for the bridge cover.... have you ever had the covers on much?

nice jazz! Tell us more?

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  4. If the guitarist is a bright, high end-y sorta single coil guy I prefer a P bass. If he is a brown sounding, bottom heavy double coil guy, I usually go for a Jazz. Keep in mind that I've always been in power trios and I've just found this works for me. It makes for a bigger sound overall as we are not sitting in each other's sonic sandbox much that way if that makes sense. Around the house however, something warm with flats is my go to.

5. Covers are a love/hate for me so yes and no :D and thanks man.

Hachimitsu Pie likes this.
  6. I have a couple of rosewoods with one with flats one with Pressurewounds same with maple...one flats one Pressurewounds. Those are 60s spacing. My Geddy has flats and 70s spacing and my MIJ Jaguar has Pressurewounds with the bridge pickup even farther back than 70s and is active. They all quack differently. Fret size, neck shape, etc...heck they all came from different trees right? ;)

RumbleMan3, Hachimitsu Pie and JIO like this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I enjoy the power trio also - it's partially why I like more definition out of my tone as the bass doubles as rhythm or lead. For new players of the bass it's a highly recommended format because although you can just do one thing (the foundation thing) it allows for much more freedom to do a bunch of other things. Makes one more versatile. (but you know that!) I find playing with a trio is what inspires the quest for a bass that can 'do it all'. (let's see, what thread is this again...) A Jazz bass is certainly one bass that comes close! ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Sparkly gold pickgaurd... Yeah it’s nothing I would have thought of myself but it works so well... I love it! Also I’ve seen also here on TB someone with a white jazz bass, rosewood neck, and a black moto pickgaurd. Also works really, really well!

This:
    D928B597-33D7-4F0E-83CB-AB243417C42D.
    Who’s the owner... that bass is FRESH! :drool:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    That sounds like a great collection of basses!

Yes. I’m thinking either getting a rosewood board jazz, as I’ve already got a maple, or a Jazz with 70’s pickup spacing.

Either would probably be a Squier, VM or CV, modded with some spare parts I have off my player series.

Perhaps I would put flatwounds on, but I’m thinking I would keep a p bass for flats instead, just suits the tone better to my ears.

I want to try and keep my setup as minimal as I can, 3 or 4 basses max.

10. You know it's funny...in the current band, the guitarist has such a good handle on useful and pleasing tones for the compositions that I can bring just about any P or J and it sounds great. I like the freedom of just grabbing whatever moves me that day. On the car rides it's always "What did you grab today?" And I reply and then it's "Cool, I like that one.". Easy peasey. The part of the tone quest in this band has been the realization that a pick and simpler lines lend well on 2/3rds of the songs. Something I've previously shunned (picks) foolishly and now I'm enjoying the tone after I got my head around "serve the song, not your ego" LOL. The tone and feel quest is a lifelong pursuit. Always changing.

JIO likes this.
  11. But enough of that...here's a Jazz that I always like to take. 57377479_2249702281785609_7205517975091150848_o.

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Sounds good to me! :thumbsup: :bassist:

13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I've mentioned this before but I played one (Sting sig J) at a music store on Haight St in SF (that's now closing shop!) that was a very good price and liked it very much. (just didn't need another awesome sounding J) - Fender scored with that model for sure.

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  14. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    You remind me of my eager to find the "best" Jazz Bass pickups.

I replaced the stock pickups (I believe them to be Fender Originals) on my CIJ Geddy with CS '60s. They are indeed fuller, more lively. They remain to this bass to this day.

Then, I got my CS '64 Jazz. It was loaded with Fender Originals, too, if I am not mistaken. They sounded great, but I wanted a more special set. Then, after seeing a lot of boutique pickup reviews by member @Snaxster I ordered a custom handwound set from O.C. Duff Pickups - you can find my review, here.

Good luck to your hunt, and always have in mind boutique pickups - they are indeed more pricey, but you can order them in your sonic specs, and the result will be worth it. What is more, even if you upgrade to a similar pickup configuration higher-end bass, you can use them again.

15. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    Definitely gotta join this club!

I have a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V. This was the first bass that I ever bought that made me go "Yeup, this bass was made for me!" Everything about it is just awesome, and it was my main gigging bass for all of 2018.

However, I recently discovered a few other basses that are just SLIGHTLY more to my liking, so I am letting this one go. He will be missed greatly if he sells, but he just isn't getting the playtime he deserves anymore :crying:

FEnder.

R&B likes this.
  16. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Many are the bassists who temporarily fell out of love with the perfect bass and let it go. Sell in haste, repent at leisure. (Don’t ask me how I know...)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    As this may certainly be true - the only basses I no longer own that I "would like to still own" were sold due to economic need of one kind or another. In general, no regrets - life's too short.

R&B and crucislancer like this.
  18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Haight Ashbury Music Center is closing? That's a bummer!

Iconic Haight-Ashbury music store is closing

I've been in there a few times over the years. It was a cool store.

19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Yes, soon GC will be the only brick & mortar store one can try basses in person.

20. Anybody here playing TI's on their jazz? Patiently waiting for amazon to restock...

RichardPjazz and Lex P. like this.