1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    From what I heard that is his Dad's bass. He had at one time, but there is a video on You tube that a boy has it and he says he is Berry's grandson I think. You can find the video by searching tractor bass. It looks as the bass.

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    furym - You are #1533 - Welcome!

furym likes this.
  3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Shookadeez - You are #1534 - Welcome aboard!

Shookadeez likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

5. That bass is an excellent player. Sounds great. It's a 2001 bone stock.

Never a single issue with the neck. It went from warm house to freezing cold practice garage several times a week. Or from air conditioned house to sweltering practice garage if it was summer. Also left it over night in the truck after gigs in both winter and summer. That thing is stable. Quick tweak on the tuning and good to go.

marko138 and murphy like this.
  6. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Glad to hear that you have enjoyed it so much! My current entry level Shecter 4 banger's neck twisted a little after not playing it for a period of time before I got back into things. Something I hope to avoid with my next bass purchase. I have been split between getting a used player jazz V + hx stomp or just getting a used American standard jazz V.

7. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    74 AVRI body, originally black, stripped & refinished in nitro Bahama Blue over Olympic White, the shockingly spectacular Flea Road Worn neck, Emerson control kit, Lindy F Raised poles+5. Relic’d metal. TI Flats. Silky smooth Ebony thumb rest.

EAEB7C20-C2AB-4E64-9176-F76BBD309FA5.jpeg

8. Bottom 4

Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Nicely done across the board! Did you do the refin yourself?
    Cheers!

Sands likes this.
  9. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Yes and thank you.

Malak the Mad and Bottom 4 like this.
  10. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Does anyone know if the 5 sting American standard Jazz's from 2011-16 have the custom shop 60 pickups? Or was that only on the 4 strings? Can't find anything anywhere specifically on the 5 strings...

11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    was the neck refinished? it doesn't look road worn anymore. also the fretboard is so dark.

Slaphound likes this.
  12. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    He said, Shockingly Spectacular. LOL But I thought the same thing.

Sands likes this.
  13. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    It’s true.

14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    did you refinish the neck? did you darken the fretboard?

15. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I did not refinish the neck. BLO for the fretboard day one.

16. Malak the Mad

This question came up in this thread some months ago…last spring or early summer, I think. The TB'er who brought up the question eventually reached out to Fender and, sadly, no. They never made Custom Shop '60s for fivers.

At the time, I was putting together my previous parts-bass Projekt and was about to try a set of Bartolini B-Axis humbucking pickups. I was curious to see how they measured up to CS '60s and if they'd be a suitable alternative. Overall, I'd say they're pretty close.

Full disclosure…while the respective basses they're installed in are fairly close in construction (alder bodies, all-maple necks, same brand/type/gauge strings), the one with the CS '60s has '70s-style pickup placement, so that does skew the results a little bit. Still, if you're looking for something close, look up some demos and sample to see if they look promising to you.

17. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015

Attached Files:

R&B, MonetBass, Jacobaeus and 4 others like this.
  18. Malak the Mad

No! Too Jazzy!! :p :roflmao:

19. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    I was so blessed I sold mine 4 years ago and 6 months ago I wanted to pick it back up. Not a gigging person I was a music major in college and at 64 just wanted to play. My wife told me to get one.

R&B, Sands and Slaphound like this.
  20. Malak the Mad

<sigh…:rolleyes:> Well, since your wife told you to, I guess that's okay. (He just had to play the "wife" card, didn't he…jerk…:cautious:)

Seriously, though, what did you pick up? It looks like an American-Made Fender, what with the bridge and truss rod channel at the heel, but what's it's pedigree?

Jacobaeus likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021