1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    what is BLO?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Simple, you get yourselves one of these, wet it "naturally", then apply it to your fretboard. Darkens things right up! Yep! Totally! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :whistle:

126993-01_charms-blue-razzberry-blow-pops-48-piece-box.jpg

Sands likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Time to be serious again for a moment…and just one moment. :sour:

It's "boiled linseed oil". I've heard a lot of good press here about it for rosewood fretboards.

Sands and hypercarrots like this.
  4. Basssist1122

Basssist1122

Feb 4, 2021
    Well that's a bummer... So was there not any difference with the Standard line for 5 strings after 2011? It just stayed the same?

I heard that the am pro line wasn't well received. Hard to know what year for a fiver jazz to shoot for now and I'd like to keep the bass stock if i am buying an MIA...

5. MBeanBass

MBeanBass

Aug 25, 2020
    North of Boston
    I'll join, if I may.
    20190415_202422.jpg

IMG_20151108_125436_492.jpg 20200907_102042.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  6. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    It is a Fender American II. plays sweet I invested in some Stew Mac tools and did my on setup.

Sands, Slaphound and Malak the Mad like this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Honestly, I couldn't say, on either front. Fivers and I never saw eye-to-eye, so I don't research them as much. With perhaps the Professional II being the exception, I don't think Fender did much to update the physical construction of their fivers, and even there it was a minor-yet-welcome change. Specifically, I mean the sculpting of the neck heel.
    I totally get that. I recently bought and returned an MIA Pro II. It looked and felt great, but I think I was expecting a better sound, especially given all the demos I researched first. To be fair, though, a lot of sound comes from the fingers, so perhaps the real shortcomings were "Me, Myself & I". :oops:

For your price ceiling, you might find an American Standard, but I've noticed their prices are increasing and stabilizing a bit, but who knows? You might luck out. If it'll help, here's my quick buying guide criteria…
    1. When sampling any bass, the first thing I look for is "Feel". If it don't feel good, I'm not interested, no matter what.
    2. "Looks" play a big part in my thinking, but that's just me.
    3. "Country of Origin"? The only time it matters to me is when I'm chasing certain features that only specific instruments carry, otherwise, I couldn't care less.
    4. For "Sound", I know well that there are several factors at work (strings, electronics, etc…), so I always keep in mind that it can be altered.
    I know that sounds rich from a guy who just returned a practically-new MIA Jazz the other day, but in line with your thinking, for the price I paid, I don't wanna have to start carving it up. That, and I acknowledged the fact that my Projekt basses all look, feel and sound good-to-great…ergo, I don't need an expensive bass to suit my personal needs.

8. MBeanBass and BassmanM like this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i don't think the shortcomings are you. if it doesn't do it for you, there's a reason, whether or not it can be articulated it's still valid to you. the other basses you have sound good, so if the Pro II doesn't, then that conclusion is valid.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  10. Ya like what ya like...and if you don't it will, at best, just sit on a stand looking cool and unplayed.

11. Malak the Mad

Thanks, guys! That actually makes me feel better about my decision.

That being said, I do know myself well enough to understand I'll be tempted to grab the first unloaded Dark Night j-bod that crosses my screen.:rolleyes: :facepalm:

12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    will you call that projekt gotham legend: dark knight assemble?

13. Malak the Mad

I'm not sure. While the Batman/Dark Knight angle is very tempting, especially since I went to school for cartooning/graphic design/animation, my brain keeps falling back on the song "Dark Night" by The Blasters.

So, given that particular set of connections, and since I'd want to pair it up with a neck just like this one…

PmFLZex.jpg

…I'd probably go with "The Dark Till Dawn Projekt" or something in that vein.

(And no, I will not apologize for the obvious vampire pun! :p)

14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i think abalone or black pearl would look nice with dark night. something that brings out the blue.

15. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    MBeanBass likes this.
  16. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    The only difference that I found when doing research before I bought mine is the body is sculpted a little more so it’s easier to play the higher notes on the neck and V mod pickups. The pickups seemed to be a pretty rounded sound to them, I want a little more bite and growl, so m thinking about some PU mods down the road. Overall it’s a good feel and sounds.

17. Malak the Mad

Some dark blocks would do well to break up that massive plane of brightly colored wood, but now that you mention it, some kind of black abalone that’s shot through with streaks of dark blue could do well to extend the color scheme up through the neck. That’s a pretty rad idea, my friend! :cool: Thank you for that! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    hypercarrots likes this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Changing strings can have a significant effect on the sound. For me, it’s my first, go-to method of sculpting sound. Are you open to trying different types and/or brands or have you found one kind that’s “forever yours”? (Finding the right strings is terribly important, so I can respect both points of view.)

19. MBeanBass

MBeanBass

Aug 25, 2020
    North of Boston
    The body, pickups, & pots are ‘62. When I got it back in ‘94, it had been “modernized”. The pickguard had been removed, all the holes filled in, was re-finished bright white and sported gold hardware. It looked like a Cadillac. It had an 80’s maple P-Bass neck. I stripped it and re-finished it in nitro Olympic White, got a reproduction neck from Wood-N-Guitar in PA. I put back the appropriate period-style pickguard & hardware. I gave it back its dignity. It sounds incredible. Lot’s of midrange “gank” from the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup barks.

20. Sunday, pajammies, marathoning the Resident Evil series, and couch noodling this fella staring at the tube. It's a Jazz bass day! IMG_20210221_115352~2.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021