1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mariachi507

Mariachi507

Mar 10, 2020
    The Holler
    Well, I was close to joining the club. I've had heart and mind set on a MIA Geddy for a bit. Alder body, maple neck (that gets praised constantly), hi-mass bridge, those custom wound pups. I typically avoid signature instruments, but I couldn't help but be drawn to this one. Plus, I could always change the pickguard to personalize it some.

I had to wait on buying it because there were other things in my life that took priority in terms of funds. Now that I'm in the position to do so, I see that Fender marked up the price 25%. Perhaps this was the result of the Am II line being higher priced than the original. It could also be because of Covid.

I know the bass is still worth that price, but it's enough of a difference to make me stand back just a bit.

So, maybe someday soon Jazz Bass Club...

Edit: maybe I'll get lucky if I regularly check the used market.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    If the timing isn't right just yet.......
    Patients will most likely produce great results in your quest @Mariachi507

BBassBassington likes this.
  3. Mariachi507

Mariachi507

Mar 10, 2020
    The Holler
    That's good advice. Sometimes GAS gets in the way of rational thought, haha.

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The price did jump up across the board on all Fender products. And people
    Have been waiting for their American Geddy Lee orders for a while now. Between 6mos to a year of Im not mistaken. They are in high demand and covid has slowed down production. If you find one on the used market , grab it. The American Geddy Lee and Tony Franklin Signature models are the best basses Fender makes right now. Build quality is excellent and so are the tones. These basses rival custom
    Shop.

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings, Y'all! I've had an idea for a Jazz bass Projekt with a particular "groove" kicking around my brain for a while. While I'm almost at a point where I can start making it a reality, there are some finer points I'd like to get some outside perspective on.

I've already pulled off a very successful 70's-style build, but the idea of putting something together that screams "The Eighties" has been gnawing at me more and more. Not the flashy-splashy-trashy look most people think of, but something more in keeping with the minimalist aesthetic that people might not immediately think of when they envision that decade. In this case, my primary inspiration is the Fender-Japan JB-555 Boxer Jazz bass.

hyjvddsfgh5ofvrxljxk.jpg

I'm not looking to fabricate a 100% perfect reproduction, rather I want to capture a lot of it's essence. I already have an Aerodyne neck, so that will cover that end. As for the body, I'll probably have to go with a Warmoth build…rear-routing, controls for three or four pots, side-mounted jack, etc…etc…

The question that I'd like to field to you fine people, especially you @JIO, is in regards to the finish. I could go with a visually stark Alpine White, a warmer Olympic White that would look closer to an instrument with years under it's belt, but I'm also strongly considering a snazzier White Pearl like the Duff McKagan sig-bass. What say you?

6. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Alpine white, gold hardware, matching headstock (if possible) has my vote! (Not that my vote is worth much.) I love the idea for the build, good luck!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Amber'd pearl white is about as '80s as you get.

8. I'll second that. That or black, but I'd do pearl. I had an original Duff (before Duff) and it was pearl but otherwise I recall a sea of fingerprint covered black instruments with pointy shapes.

9. Malak the Mad

As much as I like matching headstocks, the Aerodyne already has a black painted headstock which fits the basic JB-555 Boxer groove.

As for gold hardware, that would be a bit too "Vegas" for my blood. (Fun fact…it was that same gold-on-white look that inspired my "Las Vegas" quote below! :p) If I don't go with black hardware, then it'll be Smoked Chrome/Cosmo Black.

BBassBassington likes this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Believe it or not, I kinda expected you to go with White Pearl. ;)
    One more vote for White Pearl! As for black, I'm good on that front already. Even if I liquidate a number of my existing basses, I'll always have my first-ever bass, my CIJ Aerodyne. Still, I did consider it for a moment.

JIO and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  11. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    HEY! What's it take to get into this club? If I need a congressional sponsor, I'll get one. I just wanna play. Number please...

Tim

12. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Right, I forgot about the aerodyne neck!:angel: I still like alpine white but I'll change my vote to black hardware. And that's a great quote!:cigar:

13. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I had a '93 Honda VFRF 750 which was pearl white - the only colour it came in that year. It was more white than some pearl whites out there. I put close to 100k miles on it - loved that bike.

not mine - but same year example -
    BD2D9851-FB47-4FFF-A20B-F2D25F6FBD33.jpeg

14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    sometimes it seems you and i are the only fans of smoked chrome/cosmo black here.

15. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sorry I don't check TB as often as I used to. trseal, you are #1538 - Welcome!

Kevin Lynch and trseal like this.
  16. Mariachi507

Mariachi507

Mar 10, 2020
    The Holler
    Looks like I'll be joining the club after all. Just pulled the trigger on a used USA Geddy, described as "excellent" and as if it just came from the factory floor. Decent price too!

R&B, crucislancer, Slaphound and 3 others like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Outstanding !! Looking forward to pics and an initial review.
    Smart move!!

18. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Since I got my Player Jazz I've found something interesting. Every time I go to play it's the bass I go to grab. Did it accidentally just become my #1?

I still like to groove with all my basses btw, been really digging my upscaled bass collection. I just seem to be set to Jazz = default bass.

R&B, Crusher47, murphy and 3 others like this.
  19. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Me too

murphy and BBassBassington like this.
  20. Malak the Mad

One of us.
    One of us!
    One of us!!
    :D

MonetBass, Crusher47, Pacman and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021