1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I've always been one of you guys! I started on a Peavey Milestone that was their version of a cheap Jazz bass. About a decade ago is when I feel I actually became a bassist. I had to sell off all my gear because life, but I was in a band still so I needed a bass and amp. Bought a Squier VM Jazz and a GK MB112. I spent a year with that Jazz as my only instrument period, then it was my main instrument for years until we got a second guitarist. Being a 70's style Jazz it was full of character and growl but had no beef. So sonically in the new lineup it was me and the 2 guitars competing for the same space.

Finally after a lot of gear switching I think I've got it though. A Jackson JS3QV for the band as my super Jazz Bass that's all about light weight and comfort (seriously it plays like a dream). And this year I've acquired a MIA Fender Dimension H V, my Player Jazz, an Ibanez BTB 705DX with Aguilars, and I made my Donner P fretless with a new neck. And my other bass is a Fender MIM PJ that's been upgraded to be nicer than some MIA models. It's real strong competition for the Jazz bass, which makes it all the more surprising it's the one I keep picking up.

I swear my blood cells must be shaped like Jazz Basses or something. :bassist:

Jinobass1 and Malak the Mad like this.
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@BBassBassington; Just out of curiosity, what year was that Vintage Modified Jazz? Squier performed an overhaul on them in 2013, adding a glossy finish to the back of the neck and switching from Duncan Designed pickups to Fender Designed.

A big reason why I never bought VM's, except to part-out, was because Squier never gave them Seventies period-accurate pickup spacing. Or at least, not until they rolled out their 2nd-gen, Classic Vibe '70s Jazzes.

3. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    It was a 2011. So I guess it didn't have accurate pickup spacing, just weak pickups. I wasn't really a fan of the Fender designed ones either. That's probably what moved me away from Jazz Basses as I couldn't afford more than a Squier at the time.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Yeah, I've heard numerous accounts of people loving the look and feel of their Squiers, but almost immediately dumping the Duncan/Fender Designed for something that better suits their tastes.

How did your old VM Jazz feel in your hands? Was it comfortable, or merely "functional"?

Logic_11 and BBassBassington like this.
  5. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    It was one of the lightest and most comfortable basses I've ever played. It took a couple falls too like a champ, and once got soaked in a rainstorm before I gave a speech about how awesome it is for my college communications course. It was a good bass outside the pickups, electronics, and both the original bridge and the cheap high mass one I replaced it with.

6. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Hehe, my 1997 Squier Jazz Bass MIK had the 70s pickup spacing! :D Just sold the body but kept the pickups... best pickups I ever had EVER.

7. Malak the Mad

Cool! What mods did you perform?

8. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    They were all visual. I put black ferruls in the tuners, new neck plate, black control plate and high mass bridge, thumb rest in the useless position, and chrome knobs. I essentially made it slightly worse but a lot prettier.
    2013-07-29 15.25.29.jpg

jbassbob and Malak the Mad like this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Definitely prettier, but I can't help but think your money would've been better spent on pickups and strings to get the sound you wanted/needed for that band setting. Please don't think I'm condemning you for your choices. I, too, have fallen down the hole of hot-rodding the look of an instrument when instead I could've been bringing the sound up to the level worthy of it's already excellent ergonomics. In my case, I call it "a hard-earned lesson". :facepalm:

BBassBassington likes this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Speaking of "pickups", I started a thread in the Pickups & Electronics section in regards to my "Eighties-Inspired Projekt". If anyone in the club have some thoughts or suggestions on that front, please feel free to weigh in, 'kay? Many thanks, in advance!

11. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    No slight taken! I agree. If I'm remembering correctly I probably spent about $60 in mods so at least that's not too bad. I also think I decided to sell instead of mod because I sold it for what I paid for it which seemed better than putting $300 into a $300 Squier. It's silly but I do like it when it says Fender on the headstock. :laugh:

Jinobass1 and Malak the Mad like this.
  12. amoodymule

amoodymule

May 25, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    I'm down to 2 basses, MiM Jazz, awesome neck, and American Pro Jazz, both are players,

...which one to grab is always THE question, fer sure :smug:

IMG_4125.JPG

13. Jinobass1

Jinobass1

Oct 30, 2013
    Jazz bass there’s no substitute ....so I stopped counting 5EA1C62F-C8A8-4D08-A653-FF10204C2409.jpeg CEA0F7F1-4E70-41B8-A554-D53124DEAE4F.png 2F2DD61D-EB3F-42BD-A2EE-C3B2AB0CEEB1.jpeg A1E48744-820C-4E57-A4DF-536CBE6E9697.jpeg 65910AEB-7CED-4BE7-83F6-029EF9A57527.png 0DE8A9EF-42EA-4F8D-A00B-6E32DE7E753E.png 36432BD9-8985-4554-AA91-782252925F59.jpeg 4C60C4F4-7A60-427B-8F69-D479368F53D8.jpeg C209D737-95C0-47ED-B350-9C9366D82614.jpeg A2D33D0D-A358-4CE8-AE4D-0836F5F8C658.jpeg 49D5C770-EC20-4200-B574-A006C0D1D646.jpeg 875AFE6C-B277-4ABE-AABA-F78C3221A5C7.jpeg 29C9893E-6B1E-4132-AEE8-8E3E83029208.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  14. Malak the Mad

Well, if that MIM Standard ever ceases to satisfy… :whistle:

amoodymule and BBassBassington like this.
  15. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Just received a roasted maple MIM jazz neck for my new MJT build. REALLY nice! Super thin and the back feels wonderful. 1/2" Ultra lights fit perfectly.

16. Mariachi507

Mariachi507

Mar 10, 2020
    The Holler
    and here it is. Club member #2112 (there's probably many of those at this point, haha). I'm not going to get the chance to really get acquainted with it until this weekend, but so far I've been instantly won over. That neck feels so good to play, even just to grab and pick it up really. The strings are dead and I'll do a slight adjustment in the coming days on the setup. I should have new strings by then, and hopefully my new pickguard will come in to make it a little more me and a little less Geddy Lee.

I'm telling you though, if all used instruments could be in this good of condition then nobody would ever buy new, haha. The plastic is still on the pickguard even.

Attached Files:

17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    One of the best Jazz basses period !!

Slaphound and BBassBassington like this.
  18. Mariachi507

Mariachi507

Mar 10, 2020
    The Holler
    I can't wait to plug it up and to hear these custom wound pups.

It's astounding what great shape it's in, especially for a 2015 model. There's only the lightest hint of use on the backside of the body, and that's only under direct light.

19. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Gotta love finds like that! Congrats!:bassist:

20. jcpharm

jcpharm

Jan 25, 2020
    i already joined the Fender Player Bass club last week but am i allowed to join this one since it's a Player Jazz bass? here is my addition to club - MIM Player Jazz in Limited edition Blue Burst finish:
    Front body.jpg
    Front full_cover.jpg

R&B, EagleMoon, Yetiparty and 14 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021