1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender Jazz Bass Club Part Seven!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Half Jazz Bass owner here. I bought my first Fender and first Jazz bass, a Player fretless back in December. After a few months I decided fretless is not the direction I want to go now. I sold the loaded neck locally and currently saving my pennies to buy a Fender roasted maple replacement neck. I have Hipshot USA tuning machines ready to go. Just need the neck and a string retainer (plus have someone cut the nut for me). Once I get it back together I'll post a pic of the finished product! I'll keep an eye on the club thread for now!

2. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    It's overkill but I love the Hipshot 3 and 4 string retainers. A little pricey but way cooler and even a bit lighter than the little metal circles. Sounds like it's going to be a real nice Jazz.:cool:

skycruiser likes this.
  3. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice. I did look at those 2-string ones and I just wasn't sure where they would end up on the headstock. I don't want the retainer to overlap the Fender logo. When I get the neck in my hands I'll take a close look at where it could sit. I agree that it is a nicer way to hold down the strings.

By the way, it was a little painful to turn my first genuine Fender bass into a parts bass! I still cringe about it a little but on the other hand, I need to make the instrument work for me, and I think I will love it with frets. I like the idea of putting a genuine Fender neck on it (as opposed to Warmoth or AllParts), so that makes me feel a little better about it. And on the tuning machines, the Hipshots only need 1 mounting hole so if I really wanted to make it look more original I could replace them with plate tuning machines later (adding ~1/2 pound or so in the process).

BBassBassington likes this.
  4. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I get both of those. It wasn't possible to not cover the logo but I think this worked out quite well.

This is my second Fender bass, which is a parts bass. What's kind of nice is that even though it's not made by Fender it's more Fendery than some MIAs and it was cheaper than a Player. I say make your bass exactly how you want it and you'll know that it's like having your own Fender signature model. :cool:

Attached Files:

Malak the Mad and skycruiser like this.
  5. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    WOW! That's purdy!! I was looking at a Str*t in that color at GC last week. They really are good looking and a bit "outside the box" for a Fender color.

Tim

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sure! We've even allowed Fenders, Squiers, and Fender/Squier parts-basses of all stripes for years. @Crusher47 supplies the numbers, so you'll get yours eventually.

I wrote some reviews about that exact Fender Player Plus Jazz model a few weeks back. They're super-sweet! :drool: Fortunately for me, not to mention my wallet :greedy:, someone already snagged the one hanging up at my local Guitar Center…temptation removed!! :)

7. Malak the Mad

Howard Johnson is right! :laugh:

8. Malak the Mad

I remember the first time I broke a bass apart. I was both giddy and a bit afraid some angry musician-genie was going to burst forth and curse me or something. :nailbiting:

87V.gif

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    jcpharm you are #1539

BBassBassington and jcpharm like this.
  10. jcpharm

jcpharm

Jan 25, 2020
    Thank you - great club!

11. Malak the Mad

As promised, I'm giving my relevant clubs (Fender Aerodyne, Fender Jazz, etc…) a heads-up that I'll be posting a 2003-2004 Dolphin Grey Non-Export Aerodyne up for sale in the Classifieds soon. I'll be sure to give y'all the link once it's up. ;)

R&B, crucislancer and murphy like this.
  12. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Hello there!

I need a number please! Here's my new GeddyLeeEnough 70sEnough Jazz Bass!

Specs:

• Squier Poplar 70s body with stock bridge and electronics (2020) — not too heavy, and solid wood
    • Squier Korean low-wound AlNiCo pickups (1997) — THEY SOUND FANTASTIC
    • Fender one-piece quater-sawn maple neck from a Modern Player JB (2014)
    • Cheap'o'Bay white pearled pickguard
    • 45-100 nickel strings
    Took me two years and a half of researches and lots of different 70s Jazz Bass-es to know what I need to achieve the tone I needed and hoped for. Never mind for the true 70s look with the binding and blocks. These are more issues than anything else. Only modification I plan: the bridge, cause stock one s*cks at staying in position.

20210505_173551-01.jpeg 20210505_173632-01.jpeg 20210505_173607-01.jpeg 20210505_173732-01.jpg

13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Oh wow...what a beautiful neck

14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Malak, is that Dolphin with a roasted neck? I can't remember

15. Malak the Mad

'Fraid not, Murph. According to the serial number, this is one was made somewhere in the first year or two of the Aerodyne's production. I'm pretty sure they didn't do that back then.

From what I've seen, the whole "roasted <insert name of wood>" thing is a fairly new trend in the bass world. Not to say it was recently invented, but it's popularity seems to have surged over the past couple of years.

16. Malak the Mad

17. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Malak the Mad likes this.
  18. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX

You are #1540 - Welcome!!

19. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Hey guys! Quick question here.

I'm looking at a used (pretty mint) Fender Player Jazz with Vintage noiseless pickups at $577. Is this a good deal?

I've got 2 five string basses (Ibanez and MM style) and wouldn't mind having a simple passive 4 string. This seems like a good deal to my inexperienced and Fender Jazz ignorant butt. But I thought I should consult with the savy boys before inhaling the G.A.S.

Cheers!

20. Malak the Mad

I, myself, have not sampled the Vintage Noiseless pickups, so outside that, it sounds like a very good deal…doubly so if it feels good to your hands and looks good to your eyes. I'd suggest checking YouTube for some demos where the bass is rockin' a set of those pups. Even better would be an A/B demo to establish a baseline for comparison.

Good luck and happy hunting for your first-ever Fender Jazz! :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021