Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the fender jazz elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 1, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    can someone tell me more about the fender jazz elite? which are the differences between this bass and the usual fender jazz?
    thanks in advance

marco

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have never seen or heard of a fender jazz elite; however, I do know of Fender Precision Elite.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have seen one here in a shop. the seller is a vintage guru and sait that it was an elite model. the only thingi remember is the pikguard more simple and only one colour and not triple ply and the really good sound. the seller said that this discntinued model was made in the 80s and was of high quality in woods and electronics. the bass sounded much better than the other mia jazz '78

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would be suspicious of your vintage guru if he told you that. There was no Jazz model in the Elite line. The Elites were made from '83 to about '85.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The '83 model Jazz has a one ply pickguard, no control plate, and strat type knobs; however, it is not an Elite.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    mmmhh, maybe it's me and i misundertood the name. do you know a jazz that could match the description above?
    thanks

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Did it have white pickups? White plastic knobs? Did the pickguard extend down to where a control plate would be on most Jazzes? Truss-rod adjuster on headstock? If so, I would say it is an '83 Jazz Standard, second version.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you got it!!

and it was all mine error...the vintage guru is used to say "this one is an elite" when the bass is particular well sounding and not referring to the exact model.i misunderstood the whole thing and i start this thread..

thanks
    marco

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a Precision Elite II (There were 2 Elites, the Elite II had 2 P pickups). I eventually got rid of it to buy a '69 Precision which sounded much better than the active electronics on the Elite. They're nice basses, but I think that there have been enough refinements in the newer Fenders to surpass the model.