Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the fender jazz signature basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 27, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm interested in the three artist versions of the fender jazz bass. the geddy lee, the jaco pastorius and the marcus miller. i'd like to know what's your opinon on them, their true characteristics and sounds, where are they made, how much are priced and most of all your experiences with these three basses. i'm interested mostly on the geddy lee signature.
    thanks
    marco

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    From what I've read here and elsewhere, the Geddy Lee Jazz is enormously popular. They were originally going to make it a limited edition but the demand for Geddys turned them into a production model. I've played a couple in stores and what not and I must say that if I was looking for another Fender Jazz Bass, this would be at the top of my list. It's got a nice punchy tone, it plays well, and it looks amazing. I played a Marcus Miller once, it was okay but I couldn't really tell how the active circuit sounded because they didn't have the battery installed (or it was just dead). I've never seen the Jaco but I suppose I could just pull the pickguard off my 62 RI... ;)

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I've owned my Geddy Jazz a little over a year now. IMO it is the best bang for the buck Fender available. I'll never sell it. The neck profile is different from any other Fender, very slim front to back. You may or may not like that so if possible try and find one to play. Some have complained about a lack of bottom on this bass though I don't find that to be the case, YMMV.

I've no personal experience with the Marcus or Jaco basses. Comments I've read on the Marcus vary, some like it while others are not impressed. Comments I've read on the Jaco bass are VERY favorable.

You may also want to try the 62RI and 75RI Jazz basses as well, a lot of players love them.

The Geddy and Marcus basses are made in Japan, the others mentioned (current models) are made in USA.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

P.S. I just checked your profile and see that you live in Italy so I can't say for sure if the country of manufacture I stated is accurate for you, except I'm pretty sure that all Geddy and Marcus Basses are MIJ.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried two different Marcus Miller basses; two of my friends bought one.

They play very nicely. You actually get a pretty good Marcus tone from the preamp. I really like it. I might by one someday. It's a great slappers bass because of the tone that you can get from the preamp. It's probably not suited for rock or heavy metal because of its characteristic tone.

Check the review in last year's bassplayer mag. Can't remember what month.

Last I checked, they go for about $769 at musician's friend.