1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Fender Jazz Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbamta, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    I know this topic may have been discussed in other threads but, I just realized the distinct sound of the Fender Jazz. I recently purchased a high end bass and although I love the sound. I am unable to produce the Fender Jazz sound. I love the sound of the high end bass but, I decided to keep my Jazz for situations where only a Jazz will do. For me that is the slap sound that I get with my Jazz. I guess many of the slap players that I emulate (Marcus Miller, Larry Graham, etc) primarily use the Fender Jazz when recording.

My high end bass has Bartolini pickups with Bartolini preamp and the Jazz has standard single coil pickups with a standard Fender preamp.

Thoughts?

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Thoughts?

A Fender Jazz has the Fender Jazz sound. This we know for certain.

All other bets are off.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thoughts ? I agree with what you said...

4. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Ya know, we hear this a lot around here. "I bought such-and-such bass and it sounds awesome but I can't get it to sound like a Jazz (or Precision) Bass.

Fact is shortest distance = straight line. That's why i'm gonna break down and buy a jazz bass to go with my collection of beloved P's. Nothing against such-and-such basses, they're just a different thing, that's all.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    If you're talking about that bass in your avatar, I'll gladly take that bass over anything that's out there :) and I play JB's sometime. LOL!!!!!!!

6. Oh, Lord. I watched it. It was epic and funny to an undescribable amount.

7. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland

I do love the slap sound of the Jazz but, what is never mentioned when it comes to high end basses. Is the easy of playing them, the weight difference, and spectrum of sounds. Also, not to mention the choice of woods. No I'll keep the Brubaker KXB-5 Custom

8. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
  9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Well, the weight has nothing to do with the quality of the instrument, you can find heavy and light instruments at both ends of the price range. And the spectrum of sounds, the JB has a pretty wide range of sounds for a passive instrument.

Was your point of this thread to say that you prefer you Brubaker over a JB? If not, I am kind of lost as to why this thread exists...

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    The OP was saying he liked the sound of his JB best, I think.

Hard for me to say. I go back and forth from the P sound (with my P/J) and the J sound. maybe the best sound for me is my P/J with the bridge pup rolled off to 8.5 and the neck pup on full. I do that with my Jazz, too, but that P/J has a sound all its own. Nice.

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    No intention of hijacking the thread as I am a JB owner and player myself. The KXB-5 you got is DA BOMB!!! I love my Geddy Lee Jazz and I love to slap on it, and I also love it's very skinny neck. I'll never get carpal tunnel trying to get around it. IMO it's a keeper no matter what else I play or purchase in the future. I also have an SX 75 JB copy and have gotten compliments on it's sound. I'm converting it to fretless. I could be wrong but I think there's tone in that offset contour.

12. A big bottom, a lot more space to keep the groove.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The bass you have should be able to get very close to (if not nail) the vibe you described... if you'd like to get together I can show you how.

The trick is putting it in single coil mode and making sure the pickup heights are optimized. The "right" strings help too. My green JXB-6 6 string jazz is the same basic configuration as your bass (Maple body, Bart humbuckers and NTMB 3 band preamp) and it nails it with the EQ set flat. The coolest thing about this is once you figure it out, it's easily repeatable.

[​IMG]

On the three way coil tap toggle, the middle position is dual coil at the bridge and single coil at the neck. The two outside positions are either both dual coils on or both coils split to the outer coils. You can tell by the fullness of the output... dual coil mode will sound noticeably fuller than single. So the settings to get you in the ballpark are...

single coil mode, panpot in the middle, EQs set flat, volume control all the way up. And depending on how you play, you can tweak the internal gain control on the Bartolini NTMB. I keep mine fairly hot and my bass hits very hard in what I'd consider 70's Jazz bass mode.

Another way to do this is to put the toggle in single coil mode, set the panpot in the middle and pull the volume control up to put it in passive mode. Keep the volume wide open and bump the volume on you amplification as needed.

I currently have three Fender Jazzes; a 68 Alder (low man on the slap totem pole of the three IMO), a stock 78 Ash/Maple (vicious) and a 2002 FMT V (excellent). My JXB-6 kills all of them. And my purple 2000 NBS-1 5 string Ash with Maple neck and Cocobola board and Bart singlecoils has to be heard to be believed.

Kevin knows how to get the J bass vibe and I'd be willing to bet it's lurking in your particular bass too.

14. Holy moly, you sir, are a walking instruction manual!

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Hammer don't hurt em!!! I will attest the Brubakers can get the fender/jazz vibe. My MJX-5 sounds really fenderish if that's a word.

16. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the background. I have sold my jazz after learning about the tone possibilities with the Brubaker. Thanks for your tips.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No problem. I love the J bass vibe too and I get it with my basses.