Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the fender look

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pereek, Apr 11, 2002.

1. hi all
    i with many others own a P bass, fender
    just owndering what u guys think of the actuall look of the fender. is it in or not?

personally i like the looks of yamahaas and makes like that more than the fender look

or is this me just being stupid and narrow minded

2. It's a personal preference, so you're not being narrow minded. I hate the look of Fenders, I really prefer the look of a nice Rickenbacker to them anyday.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In or out, it depends on who you talk to - and when.
    But the oldies, esp. Fender, are something like the lowest common denominator.

People maybe like them either because they've been around for so long that everybody is used to the design, or because they're conservative enough to be liked by almost everybody.
    Avantgarde designs like Basslab's are harder to like.

It's like with art. Most people like the old dutch masters, but have problems with more radical modern art.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think one of the factors is that Fender isn't associated with a particular style of music. BC Riches are associated with metal, Les Pauls with Blues Based Rock, Thunderbirds with Southern Rock, Archtops with Jazz/Rockabilly, Danelectro's with oldies, Rickenbacker with British Invasion/Emo ect. If you see someone with a Fender, it's hard to tell what style of music they play, just because of their guitar/bass.

Personally, I just think that Fender's are knockout instruments for the price and are good for novice and advanced alike. I don't limit myself to just the Fender designs though. I like a lot of the more modern looking instruments, such as the Yamah's you mentioned.

It is a matter or personal taste. I've seen some of Boutique basses that are just plain, god awful ugly to me. The body's look like they were cut by Stevie Wonder. Still some of the Boutique basses are truly works of art.