The Fender Precision: best exponents of....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Inspired by the thread about best 4 string for hard rock, and many replies championing the P, and me being interested in owning one.............

I wondered what thoughts there were as to who the great Precision playeres are / were. Any particular recordings stand out to illustrate that.

2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Sting played/plays a P-bass.
  3. Hello Dr. Music.

Happy N Year, m' friend.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Listen to Duck Dunne, then master everything
    Jamerson put down at Motown-nothing to it!

As a proud owner of a '69 P-Bass, I've played more high-ends than most & I own an awesome Tobias as well-
    But one can babble all they want about "spalted"
    this and "AAAA flamed" that and any other blather
    there is (Don't misunderstand-I love the work of fine luthiers and their creations) BUT
    It will not and cannot EVER sound any better than a P-Bass- NO WAY; dream on!:D
  5. When I got back into bass 2 years ago, I picked up a second hand Squier P (£75). The action on that bass was second to none. The things I hated, though, were the neck heavy balance and the dead spot @ about D on G string. Obviously, of course, the sound wasn't that hot.

That's my only experience of a P - mixed feelings. I'm still drawn back to a P though and would like to try a really good example.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The dead spot is fairly common on P's, flatwounds don't help, neither do "old" strings.
    All American P's since about 97 or so have graphite bars in the neck which eliminates the dead spot completely.
    If you can't run to an American, the Japanese (including early squiers) P's are 99% of the way there.
    As for the sound, I wouldn't expect too much from the stock squier PuPs - Nothing a replacement set wouldn't cure!
    R.J. If you are ever near Hitchin youre welcome to try out one or more of my P's!
  7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You should play a number of P's 'till you find one that is right- I got my '69 at a vintage shop, and had it restored from the abominable cosmetic and electronic condition it was in- Everything was rusted and broken and the axe was ... spray-painted black & dinged to hell!!
    But the neck...The best work Leo's shop ever did-
    So I bought & restored it to natural-alder perfection with new hardware, electronics, etc-
    WITH the ...Neck!
    That bass will eat any $10,000 exotic wood pretty
    bass for breakfast and slap out some phat R&B or round smooth jazz tones for lunch!~
    Would I ever part with it?
    There is not enought money minted!
    Happy NY!
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I wouldnt say "completely", but better than they used to be. I own a 97, 98, 01 P and an 01 J, and they all have a dead spot on the G string, although none are as bad as my 78 P.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Not the Vintage Reissues..
  10. If you haven't, definitely listen to John Entwistle of The Who on the "Live at Leeds" album. Maple-neck late '50s Precision strung with Rotosounds through cranked Hiwatts - heaven.
  11. I thought he played a Fender Jazz.....or maybe it's a P with J pups......
  12. Nope Sting played a 50's P that had that little single coil in it.

I love P's, but I don't like the 60's ones much, they are neck heavey. My 62 RI is great but lacks the umph that my vintage '74 has. I have barts in both of them and I really want some EMGs, that should make them great. If you want the ultimate rock bass IMO get a vintage '70's with a heavy ash body and CRANK it through a vintage Ampeg. The 60's really sound good for country and funk music. I really just don't suggest getting barts in a P, I like em but they are lacking. my 2
  13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    In terms of players to listen to, I recommend John Deacon, Peter (Mars) Cowling, Jesse Murphy (on John Scofield's Überjam), Carol Kaye, and of course the aforementioned Jamerson and Dunn.

Sting, AFAIK played fretless Ibanez's when he was with the Police. The old P is a relatively recent thing.
  14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I had Duncan passive P-Bass pups put in my '69
    (not neck heavy-sounds magnificent for ANYTHING)
    I would recommend them-very good compression, loads of rich vintage tone. Through a tube amp, like my Mesa Buster, or Ampeg V4, OR a B-15--
    That is a sound which decimates "something"
    produced from a high-tech modern "thing" thru a high-tech solid-state squanky generic box-Sorry!You can't buy Mojo, you have to find it and adopt it.
    My Six-Nine is a player-I would also strongly recommend a Bad-Ass II bridge if not OEM-bound.
    Wonderful modification.
    Look- the P-Bass is the ONE- everything else is a "wanna-be-better" but ...can't.:D