Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The finest writer of horror fiction...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BrettAM, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Who, in your opinion, is the best? My vote goes to H.P. Lovecraft, as Steven King says, "H.P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale."

IMO, he has yet to be surpassed as history's greatest.

2. i concer... and hell, i have too.. he was born, raised, and is buried in providence for christ sakes! i accidently spat on his grave!

3. You're screwed, Freaky Fender. Here's a tip, if you ever hear an inhumanly old in your closet saying, "Yog-Sothoth" don't open it, move out of state, and live in the desert.

H.P Lovecraft is S-C-A-R-Y! While I'm a real pansy when it comes to horror novels, his stories make me feel infintesimally small and insignificant. Stephen King is good but was never my bag. Dan Simmons is good too.

4. Yes FF, avoid the ocean, voodoo tribes should be steered clear of... the whole northeast is pretty dangerous for you...

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    clive barker.

read imajica, great and secret show, everville, books of blood.

great stuff, great writer, even has some good plays he's written. just try to ignore the films; rawhead rex is not an accurate representation :)

6. Lovecraft is good as well as Clive Barker, but, I really like Tanith Lee. She has such a smooth and flowing style, but, sometimes her endings leave something to be desired.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jim.pattison/

Mike J.

7. i was kidding about spitting on his grave...

8. well, I have to admit that I've never read anything by Lovecraft, so my opinion maybe doesn't count, but I have to say that Stephen King is the best horror writer.

I watched IT this weekend... good movie. :D

"They all float down here. and when you're down here you'll also float!"

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...I've ever read is not in the Horror category.

It was Tom Clancy's..."The Sum of All Fears".
    Read the book, don't see the movie.

Incredibly real, and plausible.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Admittedly I don't read fiction much anymore (never seem to find the time!) but I have read a few classics in my time...

Anyway, my point, in my opinon Stephen King is definitley not the greatest horror writer, I find his books a bit too 'ABC' to be engaging.

Sunno, who is mind?! :D

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i like clive - just finished cold heart canyon (eh, not his best work) - and i've read all of the lovecraft i could get my hands on, which is quite a bit, but my favorite is brian lumley. his rendition of the vampire is the best i've ever read - all in all his books are the most exciting horror stories i've ever read.

12. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i like anne rice as well, at least the earlier stuff, didn't keep up in the last few years. the witching hour was quite good, as was ramses the damned.

13. Philo

Philo

Sep 10, 2002
    Austin, Tx
    HP Lovecraft and Clive Barker

those two just do it for me...

btw..one of the scariest stories i've read, was a short story about a man falling overboard from a ship..and floating out at sea...after many attempts to kill himself...he finally gives up...his prayers are finally answered with a 2 foot dorsal fin protruding from the surface and heading right towards him...

the story was by winston churchill...he had a way with words...

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    True dat. That's one messed up book. I was all hyped up about King after reading that book. Then I started reading "The Stand" and had to stop because it was just awful. I guess it's hit or miss with him.

15. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Damn good books especially Imajica and The Books of Blood. Imajica would make a GREAT movie if you could make it 6 hours long and spend a billion dollars on special effects ;)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Clive Barker: I especially liked Great and Secret Show, along with his short stories (Cabal, Inhuman Condition, ect)

King: Eh, you've read Shining, Stand, It, and Carrie, you've got all his books read.

Lovecraft: Different, and still really cool.

Horror really doesn't do that much for me. I like Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thrillers (Johnathan Kellerman, Koontz, Crichton ect), and Noir more than horror.

17. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well, I grew up on Stephen King novels, read them as a kid, and thought he was just the best. As I got older, though, I grew distant from his stuff. Clive Barker, through the years, has become my favorite (although a lot of his stuff is more dark fantasy rather than horror). "Imajica" and "Cabal" are by far my faves. I just adore the guy. :) At one point I was really into 'splatterpunk' and read a lot of John Skipp and Craig Spector. I also went through my Lovecraft phase. I don't know about you, but it's in my personal opinion that there's not much decent horror fiction out these days and I've taken to reading more non-fiction.

18. Philo

Philo

Sep 10, 2002
    Austin, Tx
    brendan: Clive Barker: I especially liked Great and Secret Show, along with his short stories (Cabal, Inhuman Condition,

'everville' is the continuation of 'great and secret'..just in case you have'nt picked it up...the third book of the 'art' has not been released yet..they're all part of a trilogy...

as for Barker's short stories...thats how i started with him..and they are usually where the 'horror' lies...his 'novels' are a bit more on the fantasy level, but with horrific themes scattered about..the story in 'inhuman condition' about the knots, totally kicked my butt...

for anyone interested...

www.clivebarker.com

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I was an early King reader too. Other than the books mentioned, read "The Mist", a short story. I think it's in Monkey Shines? *Great* story, freaky as all get out. Well, at least it was when I was 14. . . :)

I don't read much horror these days. Some good scary SF:

Niven/Pournelle/Barnes: The Legacy of Heorot

Hmm, I know there are more, just can't think of 'em.

20. yeah, Steven King tends to recycle a lot of his ideas and details.
    Needful things reused the "possessed car" idea from Christine.
    King said that one of his main influences was Richard Matheson, who wrote for the twilight Zone, and also wrote Duel (probably my favourite film of all time, directed by Steven Spielberg)- which was an obvious source of the Christine idea.
    BTW, anyone see "Roadkill"?- another Duel copycat...

another script by Richard Matheson was Dying room only- not transferred as successfully to film as Duel, but I'm sure influenced films such as Breakdown.