"the fire sermon" effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 27, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i knwo michael uses a boss vf-1, but is that what was used on that track? i like the real time advantage and ive considered purchasing one. however, im not to sure.

would it interfere with my amps settings? i dont plan on using it as a pre, more for effects that i can control with the expression pedal. how would i rack mount this thing?

any other info or help is welcomed.

also i did a search and couldnt find my answers.
  2. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    I see that you found the Michael Manring section of these forums so I don't think we need this topic doubled up, but anyways...

If I remember how that song sounds (I heard it once, but don't actually have the CD) there are no effects, just technique. However I believe he is using a bass with doubled up strings (an 8 string).
  3. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    That's one of my favorite Manring tracks.

If you're talking about the effect at the beginning and middle, it sounds like a flanger with extreme swooshy feedback settings, plus some stereo delay. And like Samurai says, he is playing an 8 or possibly 12 string (maybe even a 15 string?).

If you check out Michael's "The Artist Profile" video, you'll see him playing this piece.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hes playign a doubled 5 string (10 string)