1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Firefox thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Anyone else love the spell check feature? I've found it to be immensely invaluable.

Also, does anyone know any neat add-ons?

2. firefox is soooooooooo much better than internet explorer, yay! no spyware!! and no horroble viruses! yay!

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Try the extension "Media Player Connectivity". It roots out embedded media in web pages. The advantage is you can locate the url of an online radio station, and play it in Winamp (For example) rather than some ad laden pop up player.

4. FF is awesome. But I thought "appreciation" threads were banned.

:bag:

:ninja:

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    No Script is a great add-on.

6. +100000

7. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I always use "Mile-Wide Back"; it makes a 1-pixel-wide "back" button on the left hand side of the window, so when your window is maximized you just throw your pointer to the left and click, instead of hunting down a little button.

I also use the Foxmarks bookmarks synchronizer, and DictionarySearch to look up the currently selected word in an online dictionary.

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Adblock is fabulous too, but don't tell Paul.....;)

9. The bookmarks on top are a great feature and the resuming of last session which was accidentaly shut down is great.

10. I do feel I should note that Firefox is really nowhere close to what Opera has been up to. All these features that seem so new and great for IE converts to Firefox, were really on Opera for many years previously.

That being said, I still personally like Firefox to Opera.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Everyone should get StumbleUpon.
    That has saved me from HOURS of boredom.

12. Yeah, stumbleupon is a good boredom buster. In addition to adblock, I use foxytunes (controls your music player) and download statusbar (download manager type thing). Havent tried NoScript, but I may give it a shot sometime.

I really like the ability to put nearly any search site in the search bar (youtube, weather.com, among others).

13. Was unaware of this. just found it and installed it. VERY cool. Thanks!

14. Though it is another thing that has been in opera forever, you guys should check out the Rocker Gestures.

For Firefox I use the add-on All-In-One Gestures. I think it is similar to what middy was talking about, but I am not sure.

For a gesture you hold right click and would move your mouse around. Make a line going left to go back, right to go forward, I set it to move down for a new window and up for a new tab, down and right to close the window, etc... there are tons of combinations you can set. It makes browsing very easy though.

15. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Go into a text box and type 'buckinghamshire' and check what the spelling corrections are.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was a mozilla fan and jumped to firefox while still beta.

my add ons are:

ReloadEvery 2.0
    Web Developer 1.1.4

my theme is:
    Pimpzilla

17. Oh jeez!!! LMAO!

18. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    My favourite add-on is "Mouse Gestures". It allows you to do stuff like go back and forward, open new tabs, switch tabs, minimise the window, maximise the window and loads more just by holding a mouse button and waving the cursor in a set pattern. Very cool!

19. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Why not just use the Backspace button on the keyboard?

20. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    lol At the suggestions for buckinghamshire

Mozzilla Firefox FTW! anyone here use Mozilla thunderbird?