The first bass you had!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    So what was your first bass you had? Brand? Model? How was it, did you like it, and how soon you switched to another (better?) one?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It was a Fender MIM jazz bass back in 1991. I put a badass & EMG j's in it. I bought a natural Ric 4003 not to long after & I haven't stopped buying basses since!!!
  3. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hondo Pro - £105 in 1984 from a shop thats no longer there.

Nice bass to start on, used it for about 4 years until the truss rod broke.

A couple of years later I got a new truss rod and an ebony fretless fingerboard put on it. Then a couple of years after that I got a J bridge pup put on it and the scale length corrected.

Still got it - still play it daily.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sky blue Sears Silvertone g****r with nails driven into the head so I could detune the strings and angle them for adequate tension.

If that doesn't qualify, it was a red sparkle Norma, (Swedish?), that was the most blurred, inarticulate (worse than Gibson EB's :eek: ), piece of dung that I have ever had the disgrace to own. But, whaddaya want for $78?
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I started with a Fender Squire P-bass (rental)

And then my first *own* bass was a Fender Squire Music Master that was black/white pickgaurd. It was a nice bass, especially for the money. I don't really regret selling it though. I think I even sold it for more than I paid for it... This kid I knew wanted it and was oblivious to basses. He was kinda a dick too.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My first was a Jazz Bass 69´ with Badass Bridge and Emg Pickups..
    That was in 1995, My uncle gave it to me..
    It was stolen 3 weeks later.

Then I bought my first bass, a Cretwood P800 P-Bass copy. $120
    I fitted it with a Badass II, a Black Pickguard, Select by EMG pickups and a YinYang Holographic symbol.

It was somewhat fine until I learnt how to slap.
    Then I found out it was really crappy.
  7. i got a Squire P-Bass...i thought it was good until i found that ther were better basses out there...i don't regret buying it because without it, i wouldn't have gotten all that needed practice. i have a 6-string Ibanez SR-506 w/ active electronics...i love it!
  8. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    '95 MIM Fender jazz bass in that awful cream color. it was heavy, too -- 13 or 14 pounds.

oddly enough, my current bass (MIJ foto flame P-bass) is also a '95.
  9. i had a squier p-bass. It was ok for beginning bass playing and all, but it was less than 6 months before i changed over to the custom Aria Pro II. And it was less than 6 months that i switched from the aria to the ESP. And it this point i have the Spector. :)
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It was an old Yamaha BB1200. Too big for me so I sold it.. I´m gonna try to get it back..
  11. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    76 Sunburst Fender P. It was my main bass for 14 years. Great player but never really dug the tone of a P. I even put Alembic Activators in it. Ended up selling it through Bass Northwest.

My hope is one of you guys bought it and are still enjoying it today.

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    My first bass was a peavey T-40 fretless.
    It was a good bass, but very very heavy!
  13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Mine was a Kawai, back in '79... Not the quality stuff that they're building today, more like a plywood body, 1/4" thick finish... Still and all, I have some fond memories of it. Sadly, it was stolen on the night of the very first gig that I ever played :-(

14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My first bass was a Crestline P-Bass copy. Sunburst with action a mile high. You could've bounced quarters off the strings. At the first fret. I thought I was in bass heaven 'til I played a Jazz. Thought I was gonna wet myself. Went out and got my own Jazz from a pawn shop but I kept the old Crestline around for times that my grandfather would come to visit, since he bought it for me. The thing was downright painful to play after getting use to the lower action and buttery feel of the Jazz.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My second bass was a black Peavey T-40, and like yours, Yvon, weighed a ton. Traded it in on an Electra-Westone PJ bass much like my fretless.

My first bass was a great early 70's Memphis P bass copy, looked just like Jamerson's legendary funk machine, sunburst, tortoiseshell pickguard, complete with ashtrays. I don't know what wood it was made of, it was heavier than the T-40 and heavier than a northern ash Jazz. Had to weigh at least 15 lbs. Dad had to sell it and a silverface Bassman 10 to buy food.:( Wish I could find them both.
  16. I first had a Ibanez GSR 200, and then I got a '96 Am. Std. Jazz V which I still have.
  17. my first bass was a hondo pro 180 which was made in '82 but i bought it im '98 for like $100 and i still have it but i soon got a ibanez ergo about 6 months later when i joined my first band. since then i get a new bass or add something good like every 6 months or so. best thing i ever picked up!!
  18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My first was also a Peavey T-40 natural finish. This seems to be the heaviest bass in the world. I had it for two or three years and then got a black Yamaha P-bass. Never knew what model it was. :)
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my very first bass was a kingstone jazz style bass, white. then i bought a cort artisan bass in see trough green, really good. i sold it and bought a rick 4001 in mapleglo that i still have. others basses i bought after the rick and i still own are a eko jazz style bass in natural and a 5 stringed spector in black cherry red. i'd really like to have a fender precision, a semihollow body bass and a gibson t-bird.
  20. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    My first was a rented Yamaha RB260.I actually didnt mind it at all.