The First Dent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My warwick's head stock now has a dent in it. It smashed into a light bulb at band practice and showered me with broken glass, and last night I was looking at the head stock and the black layer over the head stock(you know, the bit on the front of the head stock where it's black), has been dented on the side. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  2. From this day on, you are no longer a boy, but a man...

But seriously, it had to happen sooner or later. Don´t let it get to you. It´s just a tool. A beautiful one, sure, but still just a tool.
  3. I'm gonna use it mroe now, but hopefully I'm getting a streamer standard 5er as my main gigging bass.......I just know that if I took my warwick thumb someone would steal it.
  4. Umm... what´s the point of having a great bass if you don´t use it the way it was meant to be used - on gigs. To me, thats cruel and unusual punishment.

Nobody´s going to steal your bass, just be careful and don´t leave it anywhere unguarded.
  5. *worries*

I have a couple of dents in my MIM Fender Jazz Fretless (oh yeah!), so does that make me a man too?

One of them's a doosy. Man... wish I hadn't run around the house with the bass... :rollno:
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You'd get it anyway, so there you have it now.

BTW that black layer is black ebony
  7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    The first dent is always the worst......... :crying:
  8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    ...and the deepest....<singing>
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    All basses will get dents.. minus my Ric. I have two scratches on my warwick body (the back), one little ding on the headstock, and a ding on the back of the neck. I might sand a few of the body ones out, but other than that, I will leave them as battle scars.. Rawr! :bassist:
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Oh no...are you sure we want to hear people singing that Sheryl Crow song? (Sheryl herself notwithstanding.)

But anyway, I agree with the others that the first ding in one's bass is a rite of passage that's as inevitable as having at least one teacher-from-hell in school. It sucks during the moment when it happens, but when time passes and you look back, it becomes a story to tell. And when you learn to drive, one's first dent, accident, and ticket become inevitable rites of passage too. They absolutely suck when they happen, but when you're able to look back and reflect, they become good stories to tell when you're shooting the breeze with people.

At the very least, Nick, you have a cool story to go with it. Or if it's not cool to you, embellish it. I'm visualizing the bass player thrashing around like a madman (which is awesome to see on stage) then one of those Hollywood slo-mo scenes with the glass flying and perhaps the lights in the rehearsal space going out for dramatic effect...yeah, keep the dent and embellish the story. If you tell it right, even the simplest story will captivate an audience.

Speaking of glass, I certainly hope you're relatively unhurt. Glass shards/spliters in one's face is a wholly unpleasant thing, especially if anything gets anywhere near one's eyes.

I wish I could say my first ding was as cool a story but it wasn't. I was playing my Ibanez 5, the phone rang, I quickly put the bass on a stand to answer the phone, bass fell forward and the tuning peg on the G string broke. I still have that broken peg. I was sad, but I just tuned down a whole step (since my G was now an F) and played that way till a new peg came in and I got my bass fixed.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pffttt! Your eyes don't matter! What if the glass got into your pocket!? Then you couldn't hold no groove :(.
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Too funny, man. Too funny. I have a weakness for puns. I have the biggest weakness for groan-worthy (read: bad) vulgar puns.
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    maybe you know it already, maybe you dont, but W has a few tips on how to make these dents disappear on oil-wax-finished bodies... Its on the Tech support page, IIRC
  14. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    ...Baby, I know...

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ehhh.........are you still playing your several thousand dollars worth of basses on a Fender Bassman 60?
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    It was a Frontman 60 :p
  17. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I feel your pain. I bumped my Victor Bailey Jazz on my computer monitor and put the tiniest, barely there ding on the headstock. You can't even see it, but I know it's there. I felt sick, then decided that it was officially gig worthy. I took it to practice that night and have played two gigs with it and it sounds incredible. I'm gigging it tonight! You can't expect to play instruments and keep them as museum pieces, too.
  18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    My basses have all sorts of dings. I was really alarmed at the first one I found on my fretted, and then gradually less so on my fretless. I don't remember why the fretted one got dinged. I was tossing drum sticks and trying to flip them around and stuff in my room, and I'd drop them...a lot. Unfortunately, this was often on my fretless bass. It wasn't until later that night that I realized I'd put over a dozen tiny dents all over the edges of the bass :eek: . Since then, it's come to school with me every day for the music program I'm in, all band practices, all concert and jazz band practices, etc. and has suffered a few more occasional dings. I'm definitely of the belief that your bass is going to get hit with something eventually, so don't try to shelter it -- just be careful, and don't throw drum sticks.
  19. I need a bigger, clearer amp. Has anyone got NAYTHING better than my Fender? I want something that'll give me tone definition. The fender can easily drown out the guitarists, so loudness isnt a problem, but I dunno about tonal definition. I'll keep the fender for practices, but I need summit bigger for gigs........
  20. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

Everyone has something better than your fender. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.