Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The First Fretless Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John K., Apr 2, 2003.

1. What year did the the first fretless Fender come out? Did the 51' P have the option of coming fretless? I was just thinking about it the other day while listening to Jaco play.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

From the top of my head, 71' Pbass.
    But I might be wrong, I haven't checked.

3. Fender started making fretless basses (P-bass) in 1964. There we no fretless Jazz basses untill later, I don't know the year.

4. ...and I thought the first fretless Fenders were the one-piece maple neck ones from the late '70s!*laughs* Sting used to play them when he was in The Police.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have my fender bass book at home, but i think it was around 70-71, the fretless jazz did not come out until 1994 and they were available in artic white
    that is what i have, and also black. they were mij
    and had that brass strip between the bridge and the bridge p/u. they were unlined. mine plays and soungs great. i also have a 78 p-bass fretless that
    has a factory active circut, something that was later
    used on the p-bass special.the p-bass is only good for playing police songs, the tone is perfect, so that is what i use it for. the jazz has a great jaco sound with the bridge p/u full on, the neck p/u 1/4
    and the tone turned down. with steel Rotosound of course, just a tearin up the fretboard.