1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The first "heavy" recording you ever heard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Apr 11, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody (please insert the usual "search disclaimer" here).

Well, I think the title explains by itself, so let me tell you my experience: I knew about rock and roll when I was a little kid because one of my uncles had a marvellous LP collection that included stuff like an altered version of Beatles' "Something New", Bill Haley's "Bikini Twist" "Trini López At P.J.'s" and lots of mexican versions of Little Richard's hits, among many other things (many years later he sold them when had financial problems and didn't tell me. I will never forgive him for that).

But it was "light" music. I didn't know about distorted guitars with power chords and raspy voices. The first record I heard with such kind of sound was Bachman-Turner Overdrive's "Four Wheel Drive" back in '75. The three chords that kicked off the LP were enough to blow my mind. I simply couldn't believe my ears. How such "dissonant" thing could be so cool? Besides, it was the first LP I saw with just four tracks per side. "Never seen such long songs!" I thought when I saw it for the first time. From every point of view, that LP had such an impact on me. Even the back cover pictures of those not so clean-cut guys amazed me tremendously.

So that record was my introduction to "heavy" music. What was yours? Thanks for your input!

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    the who

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I think the first recording I heard that I considered "heavy" and that blew my mind was Van Halen's "House of Pain"

I was 10 when I heard it, and I didn't think rock could get any harder than that for a long time.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Behemoth; Thelema 6

I think

5. Deep Purple "Machine Head"

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Metallica - Black Album in 96

7. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I listened mainly to pop music until I heard Guns N Roses in the late 80's. Welsome to the Jungle was the song that really got me listening to rock.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Went to see a local band at High School. They were metal :bassist:, made me wanna play! They quit years ago, but the leadgitarist is now with me in The Four Horsemen! How cool is that? In a band with one of your first heroes...

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness

I was introduced to them when I was about six or seven years old, and 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings' was the song that got me into rock music.

Graeme

10. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    The Trooper by Iron Maiden. That was the first song which got me insterested in heavy music.

I still remember the first time I heard it stoned out of my mind in my friend's car.....good times.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"

It warped my fragile mind, it still sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. I though satan himself was coming out of those speakers.

Now look at me now! I listen to amp fuzz and broken synths for relaxzation.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too.
    1st Semester, 9th Grade...sneakin' a listen in the school library.

2 years earlier, I did get Led Zep's III for my 12th birthday. "Immigrant Song" is pretty heavy and I do recall hearing "Paranoid" & "Iron Man" while in 8th Grade. Still if I hadda pick one album that sent me off onto a "Hard/Acid Rock" trip....it was Machine Head.
    ;)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funny, when I first heard "Paranoid" & "Iron Man", I was on 'the 8th Grade All Guys weekend road trip' to the High School SEMINARY in Richmond...the Seminary's radio station had those tunes bellowing through the halls.

14. The first heavy music that really got to me was Led Zeppelin. The opening riff to HeartBreaker still sends fire down my spine.

15. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    When I was a kid: Queen
    When I was a little older: Nirvana
    When I started really getting into it: White Zombie.

16. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I think it must have been Led Zeppelin. Don't remember which cd, but my dad allways listened to it on saturdays while vacuuming. That used to wake me up.

17. Real heavy... Primus 'Laquer head' ...first guitars i ever heard were Black Sabbath in 'Paranoid' ;)

P.S. Alvaro your tapping course helped me alot and i just wanted to say thanks.

18. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Iron Butterfly "Inna Godda Na Vita" which I am sure I spelled incorrectly.

They were a great band with a great album, but live they were really, really bad.

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    First Maiden song I ever heard. I remember being in awe of the guitarists, and wondering why the singer was so amazing. Then I tried to sing along. Bad idea.

Graeme

20. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Really early it was "No Shelter" by RATM.

The first album that I consider heavy that I could REALLY get into was by Tool