Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The first John Patitucci album (crosspost)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MrWalker, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Hi guys!

I just wondered... do any of you have the first John Patitucci CD, the one that's named just "John Patitucci"?

I'm ripping music from my cd collection to my MP3 player right now, and I just discovered that although the cover says there are 12 tunes, I've always had just 11. The first is missing. Then I checked out www.mp3.com, and they have that album available for download... but it's just 11 tracks!!

So, I'm getting really confused here. Do any of you have the original CD with the first track available? Or is it missing by "default", as some sort of production error?

When I tried to force Windows to play it (by double-clicking the track in Windows Explorer), I got a blue screen in Windows. Scary stuff.

So, anyone?

(This is a crosspost from ebassist.com, where noone could contribute)

2. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't have the CD in front of me so I don't know how many tracks there are but I know the first tune is called "Growing"?

a great cd, btw...

3. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, I like it, too.

It says "Glowing" on the first track on my CD, too, but I just realized that I've never really heard that tune. It has always started on tune #2. So I presume mine was bad from the start. But then I checked mp3.com, and I saw that this track was missing there, as well. That's why I'm starting to wonder whether it's a production error on all the CDs and that the track never existed on any of the CDs produced.

Maybe I'll just have to contact John Patitucci about it directly. :)

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    my cd has all 12 tracks. but when i put it in my computer and wmp gets the cd information, it lists the first track as wind sprint and the last track as track 12. so something changed in the pressing. mine shows 1988 on the back cover and on amazon it says it was released in 1990. hell i have this on vinyl too and that version is missing a couple of tracks.

5. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Strange...

I get twelve tracks in Windows Media Player and Explorer, but the first is unreadable. Mine was released in 1991...

I've sent an e-mail to John Patitucci's web site, maybe I'll get an answer if I'm lucky. :)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    GRP (before they sold out) had pretty dreadful quality control on their CD product. I've got a Kevin Eubanks CD from them with black dust or something suspended inside the plastic of the play side. A couple tracks really screw up and won't play. It's really pretty awful.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I have a CD-R that I dubbed from a cassette version, and it seems to have all the tracks (up to and including "Zaragoza")

So sad that GRP didn't pay more attention to their quality.